Solid shaft compression - taper locks

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress on a shaft when a compressive force is applied, specifically with a taper lock or press fit. The formulas for thin and thick wall sections are deemed acceptable, but there is uncertainty when the internal radius becomes 0 and the shaft becomes solid. The question is raised about the maximum stress allowable for a steel shaft, and whether it can withstand more than 250 mpa when clamped. The conversation concludes with the individual seeking clarification on the strength of a locking ring that applies 220mpa to the outside of the shaft.
dan_68c
Hi all,

I am trying to work out the stress on a shaft when a compressive force is placed on it such as a taper lock or press fit. I have looked at all the thin and thick wall section formulas and they seem ok. I am not sure what happens when the internal radius becomes 0 and its a solid shaft.
What is the maximum stress (hoop) allowable. For example surely steel can take more than say 250 mpa if it is a solid shaft being clamp.
What compression should a steel shaft be able to withstand,
Thanks all, too many hours scratching my head on this one.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just to make things clear i am looking at a locking ring that applies 220mpa to the outside of the shaft, and using these equations even a shaft with a with 65 mm od and 1 mm ID it isn't strong enough but i know it would work.
Thanks all

Related to Solid shaft compression - taper locks

1. What is solid shaft compression?

Solid shaft compression is a mechanical process in which an external force is applied to a solid shaft, resulting in a reduction of its overall diameter. This process is commonly used in manufacturing and engineering applications to create tapered or stepped shafts.

2. What is a taper lock?

A taper lock is a type of mechanical fastening device used to secure two or more components together. It consists of a tapered locking hub and a corresponding tapered bushing that is inserted into the hub. When tightened, the taper lock creates a strong, secure connection between the components.

3. How does solid shaft compression with taper locks work?

In solid shaft compression, the external force applied to the shaft is typically in the form of pressure from a hydraulic or mechanical press. The pressure causes the shaft to compress and take on a tapered shape, which is then secured in place using the taper lock. The taper lock's tight fit and wedging action prevent the shaft from slipping or rotating.

4. What are the advantages of using solid shaft compression and taper locks?

Solid shaft compression with taper locks offers several advantages over other methods of securing components together. It is a cost-effective and efficient process, resulting in a strong and reliable connection. Taper locks also allow for easy disassembly and reassembly of components, making maintenance and repairs simpler.

5. What types of applications use solid shaft compression and taper locks?

Solid shaft compression and taper locks are commonly used in various industries, including manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace. They are particularly useful for applications that require precision and high strength, such as in machine tools, gearboxes, and power transmission systems.