'Smoking Gun' for Dark Energy?

In summary: I'm referring to hypothetical particles like dark energy.I believe (like marcus?) that a quantum theory of gravity is necessary (but maybe not sufficient) for a convincing intrepretation of the data.I concur.

What evidence do you think is needed to confirm the existence of Dark Energy?

• Current evidence is sufficient

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Future cosmological observations could be sufficient

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • We would need to detect it in the lab

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
If matter from a black hole vanishes into another universe, why are we still able to measure the mass and gravitational effects of black holes in this universe?

dilletante

Space news on Phys.org
dilletante said:
If matter from a black hole vanishes into another universe, why are we still able to measure the mass and gravitational effects of black holes in this universe?

dilletante

Because matter only travels to other Universes through black holes in science fiction!

Is the smoking gun for dark energy right under our nose?

Is the smoking gun for dark energy right under our nose?
No long range gravity wave propagation?
'The emperor has no clothes'

The gravity wave observatories have no g.w.s.;
in spite of sufficient exquisite sensitivity and a large enough statistical volume. Hence consistent with a stiff pseudo-Riemannian spacetime manifold. Gravity waves would seem to be damped out quickly near sources. Hence the manifold would seem robust to perturbation. Such resistance to deformation would contribute energy to stress energy momentum tensor, and hence to left side of Einstein eq. i.e. Einstein tensor contraction, or curvature tensor. Hence hard qualitative evidence of at least one dark energy candidate (i.e. contributing to critical energy density sufficient for flatness).
zankaon.
See previous more elaborate thread:
09-16-2007 at 12:12 AM. cosmology thread

Last edited: