Small GPS devices with long battery life

In summary: Some of these devices have a battery life of up to 2 years, so it is possible to have a GPS device with a longer battery life than the ones you have seen on the market. Another option could be to look into solar-powered GPS devices, which could potentially have a longer battery life. Additionally, you could explore using alternative power sources, such as kinetic energy or wind power, to extend the battery life of the device. In summary, the individual is interested in creating a small GPS receiver that can be hidden in an object and used to track its location when stolen. They are looking for a device with a longer battery life than those currently on the market and are open to exploring different power sources to achieve this. They are seeking any ideas
clawson1985
Hi guys,

I'm interested in developing a small gps receiver that I can fit into a certain object so that when it gets stolen I can send a text to it, find the coordinates and track it. The sixe of space for the gps device to sit in would be approx ∅30mm, length is not an issue.

I am not an electrical engineer, nor do i pretend to know anything about electronics however I do believe this is possible. I have seen some devices on the market that are similar but not exactly what I'm looking for. The issue I have with these commercially available products is battery life.

My idea was to have a gps tracker that would lie dormant until it received a text message and then perhaps run for 15 minutes of live tracking so that I could track it with the use of a smart phone. The products I have seen only seem to last on standby for 48h to 1 week however I am looking at somethig that could last 3-6 months between charges.

Alternatively if the gps device had extremely low power consumption I may have another power source that may be useful.

Having said this I guess my question is -
Is it possible to create such a device that can either interact with google maps or reply with co-ordinates that can be entered onto google maps but to have an a battery life of +3 months?

I am just trying to find out basic information at the moment so any ideas you have I would be interested to hear them.

Thanks

Craig

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could try researching GPS and similar devices used to track migrating animals and birds. I'm not sure if these are available commercially or have been developed by the researchers themselves.

Related to Small GPS devices with long battery life

What are small GPS devices with long battery life?

Small GPS devices with long battery life are portable devices that use GPS technology to determine location and have a longer battery life compared to traditional GPS devices. They are commonly used for outdoor activities such as hiking, hunting, and camping.

How long do the batteries in these devices typically last?

The battery life of small GPS devices varies depending on the brand and model. However, on average, they can last anywhere from 10-30 hours on a single charge. Some high-end models can even last up to 50 hours.

What makes these devices have a longer battery life?

Small GPS devices with long battery life are designed with energy-efficient components and advanced power management systems. They also use smaller batteries, which helps reduce the overall weight and size of the device.

What are the advantages of using small GPS devices with long battery life?

There are several advantages to using these devices, including their compact size, lightweight design, and longer battery life. They are also more affordable compared to traditional GPS devices and can be easily carried in a pocket or attached to a backpack.

Are small GPS devices with long battery life accurate?

Yes, these devices use advanced GPS technology to accurately determine location, often with an accuracy of within a few meters. However, factors such as tree cover and tall buildings can sometimes affect the accuracy of the device's readings.