Slow Learner? Struggling to Learn Physics Concepts

• Thread starter kraphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    learner
In summary, some people take longer to learn new concepts in Physics and may feel discomfort when first learning them. However, this personal quality of spending time to gain a deeper understanding of each concept can be beneficial in the long run. It may be challenging in college where time is limited, but it is a trait worth nurturing. Even successful individuals such as Roger Penrose have also been slow learners.
kraphysics
It takes me really long to learn new concepts in Physics. I don't know why but I have this feeling of utter discomfort when I first learn a new concept. To be perfectly comfortable with a concept, i literally spend hours thinking about it in the back of my mind, trying to gain a deeper understanding and see its every single detail and implication. Other people just learn how to apply it but that makes me uncomfortable. It takes me so long to get completely familiar with a concept to a point where I feel content. Does this mean I'm a slow learner and will it hinder me in college? I feel like it will because there isn't enough time in college to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes at the university level you are placed in a position where you have to complete an assignment in a specified period of time and likely that will likely mean there will be times when you have to work with only a superfical understanding of a concept in order to get the work done.

But overall, the personal quality of working with every new concept to develop a deeper understanding of it is something that will help you tremendously as a student. Because the thing is, if you ever leave a superficial understanding at just that, you can't build anything on it and you will end up further and further behind until you're sitting through your senior classes with no idea what's going on. I would incourage you not to see this as a hinderance, rather as a trait that's worth nurturing.

All I'll say is that Roger Penrose was a slow learner, there's a video on youtube in which
he was talking about this & I'm sure you'll be able to find it...

Related to Slow Learner? Struggling to Learn Physics Concepts

1. What causes slow learning or struggling to learn physics concepts?

There are many potential factors that can contribute to slow learning or struggling to learn physics concepts. These may include a lack of prior knowledge or foundational skills, difficulty with abstract thinking, learning disabilities, distractions or other environmental factors, and ineffective teaching methods.

2. How can someone overcome slow learning or struggling to learn physics concepts?

Overcoming slow learning or struggling to learn physics concepts may require a combination of strategies. These may include seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking material down into smaller, more manageable chunks, practicing problem solving regularly, finding alternative ways to understand difficult concepts, and developing good study habits.

3. Is it possible for someone to improve their understanding of physics if they are a slow learner?

Yes, it is absolutely possible for someone to improve their understanding of physics even if they are a slow learner. Everyone has their own unique learning style and pace, and with the right support and resources, anyone can improve their understanding of physics concepts.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that can help with slow learning or struggling to learn physics concepts?

Yes, there are many study techniques that can be helpful for individuals who are struggling to learn physics concepts. Some examples include using flashcards or mnemonic devices to aid in memorization, creating concept maps or diagrams to visualize relationships between ideas, and practicing problem solving with a group or partner to foster discussion and collaboration.

5. Can a slow learner still excel in physics with the right support and resources?

Absolutely! While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards certain subjects, with the right support and resources, anyone can excel in physics regardless of their learning pace. It is important to find the learning strategies and resources that work best for each individual and to seek help when needed.