Sketching Graphs: Homework Answers

• Thread starter skeeterrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
I think that's what it's supposed to look like. so I guess if x = 1.5, the nearest integer would be 1, and the "distance" is 0.5?so the graph would have a point at (1.5, 0.5) and then another at (1, 0)?I think I see what's going on now. Thanks for your help!In summary, the graph of the function {x}, which is defined as the distance from x to the nearest integer, is a series of triangular points on the x-axis. The nearest integer to a given value of x determines the height of the point, while the "distance" to that nearest integer
skeeterrr

Homework Statement

Suppose we define {x} to be the distance from x to the nearest integer.

a) Sketch the graph of f(x) = {x}
b) " g(x) = {2x}
c) " h(x) = {x} + 1/2{x}
d) " all points (x,y) which satisfy {x} + {y} = 1
e) " all points (x,y) which satisfy |x| + |y| = 1

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin this...

I don't understand when it says "{x} to be the distance from x to the nearest integer". (I'm not very good at English, I am an international student...) :confused:

Can anyone clarify what this is saying and provide some hints?

A well thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x, be the a real variable. You know the graph of f(x)=x.
Define [x] to be the greatest integer function,ie, the greatest integer less than or equal to x. the function p(x)=[x] would come out as staircase like graph , try it and you'll get it.

then the graph for g(x)=f(x)-p(x)={x} should be simple. I worked it out and confirmed it.

If x= 3.122 then the "nearest integer" is 3 and the "distance to the nearest integer" 3.122- 3= .122.

If x= 3.512 then the "nearest integer" is 4 and the "distance to the nearest integer" is 4- 3.512= 0.498.

Do you see why the "nearest integer" is one case is "3" and in the other is "4"?

ahhh... sorry, my mistake.

this calls upon the entire bandwagon of step functions. the greatest integer function, the least integer dunction and the fraction-part function. its still easy though.. the graphs can be found on google easy. only the function would now have some conditions.

sorry to have missed tht out.

I am assuming that skeeterrr does is not familiar with 'step functions' to begin with.

Skeeterrr, just calculate values of f(x) for different values of x, plot the points on the graph and draw the graph from there.

What is the nearest integer to 1? Is it 0 and 2?
Or 1?

Last edited:
Does the graph look like a bunch of triangles on the x-axis?

yeah

Related to Sketching Graphs: Homework Answers

1. What is the purpose of sketching graphs?

Sketching graphs helps to visually represent data and relationships between variables. It allows for a better understanding and analysis of the data.

2. What are the key elements of a graph?

The key elements of a graph include the x and y axis, a title, labels for the axes, a legend (if applicable), and data points or lines.

3. How can I determine the slope of a line on a graph?

The slope of a line on a graph can be determined by calculating the change in y over the change in x. This is known as the rise over run method.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching graphs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when sketching graphs include not labeling the axes, using inconsistent scales, and not clearly indicating the units of measurement.

5. How can I improve my graphing skills?

To improve your graphing skills, it is important to practice regularly and pay attention to detail. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from others and to familiarize yourself with different types of graphs and when to use them.