Simultaneity and Spatial Separation

In summary: Or am I misunderstanding?Yes, you're understanding it correctly. The invariant interval between the two events is the same in both frames, so if it is 3 in one frame, it must also be 3 in the other frame. Therefore, ##\Delta s'^2=-c^2(10^-8)^2 + \Delta x'^2 = 3##. Can you solve for ##\Delta x'## now?
fdsa1234

Two events occur simultaneously in an inertial reference frame, separated by a distance of 3 metres. Within a different inertial frame that is moving with respect to the first, one event occurs 10^-8 seconds later than the other.

(a) In the moving frame, what is the spatial distance between the two events?

(b) What is the speed of the second frame relative to the first?

2./3.
I'm lost here. I've tried solving for delta(x) in:

delta(t)' = gamma * ( delta(t) - v/c^2 * delta(x) )

but I'm stumped.

We've just begun doing relativity work in my class, but my professor doesn't do examples during lecture, making the work quite challenging to do on my own. We've been shown a few of the entry-level relativity equations (time dilation, invariant intervals, and the like), but I have no idea how to do this problem. Any hints in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for part a: are there quantities in special relativity that are independent of reference frame?

Hint for part b: Once you have part a, you will know both the x,t of event 1 and x,t of event 2 in both frames of reference. You can then look at which Lorentz transformation (what v) will give you this transformation between the 2.

Matterwave said:
Hint for part a: are there quantities in special relativity that are independent of reference frame?

The speed of light?

fdsa1234 said:
The speed of light?

Yes, that's one thing. I was thinking of something else though. Something more similar to a distance. What's an invariant distance in special relativity?

Matterwave said:
Yes, that's one thing. I was thinking of something else though. Something more similar to a distance. What's an invariant distance in special relativity?

Hmm... ct? I thought that the answer might be 3 +/- 1 metre (one or the other, not both), but I'm not sure...

3 +/- 3, that is. I think it's +3? So, the new separation is 6 metres? Or am I completely off here...?

Apologies for the double post; I exceeded the post edit time limit.

fdsa1234 said:
3 +/- 3, that is. I think it's +3? So, the new separation is 6 metres? Or am I completely off here...?

Apologies for the double post; I exceeded the post edit time limit.

What would be your reasoning to think that one frame will differ by 3 whole meters when the time is only different by 10^-8 seconds?

When you make a Lorentz transformation between two frames, what stays constant? In a Euclidean 3-space, when you make a rotation, the distance ##d^2=x^2+y^2+z^2## is a constant. In Special relativity there's an object that looks very much like that that is constant when you make a Lorentz transformation.

I would be very surprised if you haven't learned this concept, for you to be asked this question.

Matterwave said:
What would be your reasoning to think that one frame will differ by 3 whole meters when the time is only different by 10^-8 seconds?

When you make a Lorentz transformation between two frames, what stays constant? In a Euclidean 3-space, when you make a rotation, the distance ##d^2=x^2+y^2+z^2## is a constant. In Special relativity there's an object that looks very much like that that is constant when you make a Lorentz transformation.

I would be very surprised if you haven't learned this concept, for you to be asked this question.

The invariant interval ##I = -c^2 * delta(t)^2 + d^2##?

fdsa1234 said:
The invariant interval ##I = -c^2 * delta(t)^2 + d^2##?

Ah, yes, but easier to just write ##\Delta s^2=-c^2 \Delta t^2+\Delta x^2## since we only care about 1 spatial dimension in this problem. Can you see how to use this to solve part a?

Matterwave said:
Ah, yes, but easier to just write ##\Delta s^2=-c^2 \Delta t^2+\Delta x^2## since we only care about 1 spatial dimension in this problem. Can you see how to use this to solve part a?

I see. I hadn't thought to use that; the context it was used in the lecture was for four-vectors with multiple spatial dimensions.

So, ##\Delta s^2=-c^2(10^-8)^2 + (3)^2## (that should be 10^-8, but it won't show up properly)? From that I get ##\Delta s^2 = (-1) * (3 * 10^8)^2 * (10^-8)^2 + (3)^2 = 0##...? Is this wrong, or does that mean that the two events occur in the same place?

fdsa1234 said:
I see. I hadn't thought to use that; the context it was used in the lecture was for four-vectors with multiple spatial dimensions.

So, ##\Delta s^2=-c^2(10^-8)^2 + (3)^2## (that should be 10^-8, but it won't show up properly)? From that I get ##\Delta s^2 = (-1) * (3 * 10^8)^2 * (10^-8)^2 + (3)^2 = 0##...? Is this wrong, or does that mean that the two events occur in the same place?

You've mixed up the two frames (also, for latex, you need to use {} wrappers if you want a superscript to include more than 1 character).

In the first frame, the two events are simultaneous, meaning ##\Delta t=0## and the two events are separated by a distance of 3 meters ##\Delta x=3 m## what is ##\Delta s##?. In the second frame the two events are not simultaneous ##\Delta t'=10^{-8}s##. What is ##\Delta s'##? And then what is ##\Delta x'##?

Matterwave said:
In the first frame, the two events are simultaneous, meaning ##\Delta t=0## and the two events are separated by a distance of 3 meters ##\Delta x=3 m## what is ##\Delta s##?.

Should it not also equal 3m?

##\Delta s^2 = -c^2(0)^2 + (3)^2##?

Matterwave said:
In the second frame the two events are not simultaneous ##\Delta t'=10^{-8}s##. What is ##\Delta s'##? And then what is ##\Delta x'##?

##\Delta s'^2=-c^2(10^-8)^2 + \Delta x'^2##

But how can I solve that if both ##\Delta s'## and ##\Delta x'## are unknown?

Last edited:
fdsa1234 said:
Should it not also equal 3m?

##\Delta s^2 = -c^2(0)^2 + (3)^2##?

Yes, this is correct.

##\Delta s'^2=-c^2(10^-8)^2 + \Delta x'^2##

But how can I solve that if both ##\Delta s'## and ##\Delta x'## are unknown?

Ah, but ##\Delta s'## is known! Recall, why did we care about it in the first place?

Matterwave said:
Ah, but ##\Delta s'## is known! Recall, why did we care about it in the first place?

That's what I thought. Is ##\Delta s'## also equal to 3 because it is invariant?

fdsa1234 said:
That's what I thought. Is ##\Delta s'## also equal to 3 because it is invariant?

Yes, it is also equal to 3 meters (always remember your units). So ##\Delta s = \Delta s' = 3m##, then can I now finish part a?

Matterwave said:
Yes, it is also equal to 3 meters (always remember your units). So ##\Delta s = \Delta s' = 3m##, then can I now finish part a?

So,

##(3)^2 = -c^2(10^-8)^2 + \Delta x'^2##

I'm getting ##x' = 4.2425.## Please tell me that's correct.

fdsa1234 said:
So,

##(3)^2 = -c^2(10^-8)^2 + \Delta x'^2##

I'm getting ##x' = 4.2425.## Please tell me that's correct.

Looks right to me. :)

Matterwave said:
Looks right to me. :)

Thank you so much. For part b), can I just plug numbers into a Lorentz equation, say, ##t' = γ(t - vx/c^2)##? And I'm assuming the resulting speed should be a significant fraction of c?

fdsa1234 said:
Thank you so much. For part b), can I just plug numbers into a Lorentz equation, say, ##t' = γ(t - vx/c^2)##? And I'm assuming the resulting speed should be a significant fraction of c?

Yes, this would work, but you should understand why. Physically, what are we doing when we use this equation?
Also, it might be easier, now that you have ##\Delta x'## to use the ##x'=\gamma(x-vt)## equation to figure out ##v##.

Related to Simultaneity and Spatial Separation

What is simultaneity?

Simultaneity refers to the concept of two events occurring at the same time in a particular frame of reference. It is a relative term and can vary depending on the observer's perspective.

How does special relativity explain simultaneity?

In special relativity, simultaneity is explained by the fact that time is not absolute and can be affected by an observer's relative motion. This means that two events that may appear simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another observer moving at a different velocity.

What is spatial separation?

Spatial separation refers to the distance between two objects or events in space. It can be measured in various units such as meters or kilometers.

How does special relativity explain spatial separation?

In special relativity, spatial separation is explained by the fact that distances can appear different to different observers depending on their relative motion. This is due to the contraction of space and time that occurs at high velocities.

What is the relationship between simultaneity and spatial separation?

The relationship between simultaneity and spatial separation is that they are both relative concepts and can be affected by an observer's frame of reference and relative motion. In other words, what may appear simultaneous and spatially separated to one observer may not be the same for another observer in a different frame of reference.