Simulation of small satellite dynamics in software

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of simulating small satellite dynamics and the steps involved in carrying out such a simulation. The speaker is new to this and is seeking guidance on where to start and what factors to consider, such as the satellite's geometry, power source, and thruster positions. They are advised to use MATLAB and gradually add more detail to their program, starting with the position of a spherical mass rotating around the earth and then incorporating Cartesian equations of motion and quaternions.
Datri
Hello,
First time poster in this forum. I am tasked with simulating small satellite dynamics in software this summer. I am new to this and am wondering how such a simulation is carried out. More specifically I am supposed to output the vector [ x y z xdot ydot zdot q1 q2 q3 q4 w1dot w2dot w3dot] to typical force/torque input, where x,y,z are position components, q is the quaternion for the attitude of the satellite, wdot is the angular velocity derivative of the satellite.
I am specifically unclear about where to start. I am guessing the geometry of the satellite is important in this. The satellite is powered by batteries and small CO2 thrusters. I am guessing the thruster positions are also important...How does one put it all together for simulating a typical small satellite, I am talking about something of the order of a cubesat, only in my case the shape is an octagon...

Thanks,
Datri

Engineering news on Phys.org
When I was a student, I wrote a MATLAB program to compute the satellite position and attitude/orientation for a small satellite. I recommend doing it in matlab, and start with a small program that computes the position of a spherical mass rotating around the earth, then adding more detail in steps. First understand how the Cartesian equations of motion work and implement them (this approach is more intuitive and simpler and works as long as your angles are well-defined), then try to do the same thing using quaternions.

Related to Simulation of small satellite dynamics in software

1. What is a small satellite?

A small satellite, also known as a microsatellite, is a type of satellite that is much smaller and lighter than traditional satellites. They typically weigh less than 500 kg and can be launched into space using smaller, more cost-effective rockets.

2. Why is it important to simulate small satellite dynamics?

Simulating the dynamics of small satellites is important for predicting their behavior in different environments, such as in orbit or during maneuvers. This can help engineers design and test the satellite's components, as well as plan for potential challenges or hazards.

3. What factors are typically included in small satellite dynamics simulations?

Small satellite dynamics simulations consider various factors, such as the satellite's size, shape, mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia. They also take into account external forces such as gravity, atmospheric drag, and solar radiation pressure.

4. What software is commonly used for simulating small satellite dynamics?

There are several software programs that are commonly used for simulating small satellite dynamics, such as Systems Tool Kit (STK), MATLAB, and Simulink. These programs allow for the creation of detailed models and the analysis of various scenarios.

5. How accurate are small satellite dynamics simulations?

The accuracy of small satellite dynamics simulations depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the model. In general, these simulations can provide a good estimate of the satellite's behavior, but they may not account for all potential variables and uncertainties in the real-world environment.