Simplifying Polynomial Fractions

In summary, the problem is that the y in the denominator multiplies both terms in the denominator, which is not clear from the original expression.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I need to simplify this:
((84/13)x4y - 4) / (-x + (21/13)x5)y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if it can be simplified further. I can't factor anything out that will cancel. I multiplied both the top and the bottom by 13 to get rid of those fractions and got

(84x4y - 52) / (-13x + 21x5y) but that didn't make a solution jump out at me.

Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything either, but the -13 in the denominator should be -13x.

Oh right, thanks. I guess it can't be simplified then?

With a closer look, yes, it can be simplified a lot more.
[tex]\frac{84x^4y - 52}{(-13x + 21x^5y}~=~\frac{4(21x^4y - 13)}{x(21x^4y - 13)}~=~\frac{4}{x}[/tex]
This assumes, of course, that 21x4y - 13 != 0.

Here is what I got:
[(84x4y-52)/13] / (-xy + (21/13)x5y)
= [(84x4y-52)/13] / [(-13xy + 21x5y)/13]
= (84x4y-52) / (-13xy + 21x5y)

oNothinGo said:
Here is what I got:
[(84x4y-52)/13] / (-xy + (21/13)x5y)
= [(84x4y-52)/13] / [(-13xy + 21x5y)/13]
= (84x4y-52) / (-13xy + 21x5y)

But the numerator and denominator can be factored a bit more. Factor out the 4 in the numerator and the x in the denominator. You should get:

4(21x4y-13) / x(21x4y-13)

The (21x4y-13) from the top and the bottom divide out and you are left with 4/x. The restrictions would be (21x4y-13) is not equal to zero and x is not equal to zero.

Mark44 got it perfectly right.

Anakin_k said:
But the numerator and denominator can be factored a bit more. Factor out the 4 in the numerator and the x in the denominator. You should get:

4(21x4y-13) / x(21x4y-13)

The (21x4y-13) from the top and the bottom divide out and you are left with 4/x. The restrictions would be (21x4y-13) is not equal to zero and x is not equal to zero.

Mark44 got it perfectly right.
if you factor out x in the denominator, you will get x(21x4y-13y), not x(21x4y-13).
oh nvm.
Because Jumbogala wrote (-x + (21/13)x5)y), so I thought the y times (-x + (21/13)x5), which equals to (-xy + (21/13)x5y)

jumbogala said:

Homework Statement

I need to simplify this:
((84/13)x4y - 4) / (-x + (21/13)x5)y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if it can be simplified further. I can't factor anything out that will cancel. I multiplied both the top and the bottom by 13 to get rid of those fractions and got

(84x4y - 52) / (-13x + 21x5y) but that didn't make a solution jump out at me.

Help?
In my earlier response, I simplified the final expression you showed, but didn't verify that it was the same as the original expression (it isn't). There is an extra right parenthesis in denominator of the first expression, so it's difficult to tell exactly what the original problem is. With that extra parenthesis, it's unclear whether that final y in the denominator multiplies only the x5 term or both terms in the denominator.

Can you clear this up for us?

Related to Simplifying Polynomial Fractions

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using only addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, and the degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest exponent of the variable.

2. How do you simplify a polynomial?

To simplify a polynomial, you must combine like terms by adding or subtracting coefficients. You can also use the distributive property to factor out a common term. The goal is to have the fewest number of terms possible and to have all the terms in standard form, with the variable in descending order of exponents.

3. What are like terms?

Like terms are terms that have the same variables raised to the same exponents. For example, 3x and 5x are like terms, but 3x and 5x^2 are not. Like terms can be combined by adding or subtracting their coefficients.

4. Can you simplify a polynomial with variables raised to negative exponents?

Yes, you can simplify a polynomial with variables raised to negative exponents. The negative exponent can be rewritten as the reciprocal of the variable raised to the positive exponent. For example, x^-2 can be rewritten as 1/x^2. Then, you can combine like terms and follow the same steps as simplifying a polynomial with positive exponents.

5. What is the difference between simplifying and factoring a polynomial?

Simplifying a polynomial involves combining like terms and reducing the expression to its simplest form. Factoring a polynomial involves breaking it down into smaller, simpler expressions by finding common factors. Both processes can help to solve equations and make polynomial expressions easier to work with, but they have different methods and goals.