Simplifying (b-a)/(a-b): A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter Nathi ORea
  • Start date
Nathi ORea
Homework Statement
I know the answer is -1, but I don't get a step.
Relevant Equations
I have seen explanations online saying you can multiply the numerator by -1 to get; -1(a-b)/(a-b)
After then i do understand how (a-b) cancells out . I don't really get why you are allowed to use such trickery of multiplying just the numerator by -1
I think it has something to do with that -1/-1 equals 1, but don't get why you don't have to multiply the denominator as well.
Appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are multiplying the numerator by -1 twice which is the same as multiplying it by 1 which you are always allowed to do.

Likes Nathi ORea, DeBangis21, WWGD and 1 other person
Frabjous said:
You are multiplying the numerator by -1 twice which is the same as multiplying it by 1 which you are always allowed to do.
Thanks for the reply.
Doesn't multiplying the numerator twice equal 1 again?
-1 x -1 x (b-a)

Nathi ORea said:
Thanks for the reply.
-1 x -1 x (b-a)
Yes. (b-a)=1x(b-a)=-1x-1x(b-a)=-1x(a-b)

Likes mcastillo356
You can also think about it as factoring -1 out of (b-a).

Likes Nathi ORea and mcastillo356
Nathi ORea said:
Homework Statement: I know the answer is -1, but I don't get a step.
Relevant Equations: I have seen explanations online saying you can multiply the numerator by -1 to get; -1(a-b)/(a-b)
After then i do understand how (a-b) cancells out . I don't really get why you are allowed to use such trickery of multiplying just the numerator by -1
I think it has something to do with that -1/-1 equals 1, but don't get why you don't have to multiply the denominator as well.

Appreciate any help.
Yes. I think you understand this better than whoever you are reading. Just to repeat what the others said above:
$$ \frac {b-a}{a-b} = 1⋅\frac {b-a}{a-b} = \frac {-1}{-1}⋅\frac {b-a}{a-b} = (-1)⋅\frac {b-a}{-1⋅(a-b)} = (-1)⋅(\frac {b-a}{b-a}) = -1 $$
When you're not sure, do every step rigorously until it becomes obvious. Confusion either in explanations, or understanding, is often do to people jumping ahead and combining steps. Most of us end up skipping steps to do these problems once we are really familiar with the subject. Even in this example I've skipped some steps that I thought were too obvious to elaborate.

Likes Nathi ORea
Or, you could multiply the denominator :

$$\frac{b-a}{a-b}=\frac{-1}{-1}\times \frac{b-a}{a-b} = \frac{-1}{1} \times \frac{b-a}{b-a} = -1$$

Likes Nathi ORea
Frabjous said:
That's not what is happening. The original expression was ##\frac{b - a}{a - b}##.
To get to ##\frac{-1(a - b)}{a - b}##, there is no multiplication occurring -- in the numerator -1 is being pulled out as a factor, leaving (-b + a) as the other factor. Of course, -b + a is equal to a - b.

Frabjous said:
You can also think about it as factoring -1 out of (b-a).
Not "also" -- this is what is happening.

Likes Nathi ORea
Nathi ORea said:
Homework Statement: I know the answer is -1, but I don't get a step.
Relevant Equations: I have seen explanations online saying you can multiply the numerator by -1 to get; -1(a-b)/(a-b)

Appreciate any help.
First:$$b-a = -(a -b)$$Hence, if ##a \ne b##, you can cancel the common factor ##a -b## and$$\frac{b-a}{a-b} = -1$$For example: ##a = 5, b = 2, a -b = 3, b - a = -3## and $$\frac{b-a}{a-b} =\frac{-3}{3} = -1$$

Likes Nathi ORea
Nathi ORea said:
Thanks for the reply.
-1 x -1 x (b-a)
Please use parentheses here.

Likes Nathi ORea
I appreciate all the replies here guys. Heaps of different ways to think about it! You have all been a huge help!