Simple spherical quantum mechanics question: r dot p

In summary, the question is about the validity of the relation ##\vec{r}\cdot\vec{p} = -i\hbar r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}##, where ##r## is the radial distance. The suggested solution is to use the expression for the gradient in spherical coordinates to show that the relation holds. This is consistent with the notes and documents provided.
zhaos

Homework Statement

Maybe I missed it, but in my notes and also in documents like (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_09.pdf) (equation 1.64), I see

$$ \vec{r}\cdot\vec{p} = -i\hbar r \frac{\partial}{\partial r} $$

Where ##r## is the radial distance. Why is this relation true?

Homework Equations

$$ \vec{\nabla_r} = (\frac{\partial}{\partial r}, \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}, \frac{1}{r \sin \theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

So is ##\vec{r}\cdot\vec{p}## simply

$$ (r, 0, 0) \cdot -i\hbar\vec{\nabla_r} = -i\hbar r \frac{\partial}{\partial r} $$

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done.
You should verify by context... is this consistent with what the notes and documents are trying to tell you?

Related to Simple spherical quantum mechanics question: r dot p

1. What is the meaning of "r dot p" in simple spherical quantum mechanics?

"r dot p" represents the dot product between the position vector (r) and the momentum vector (p) in spherical coordinates. It is used to calculate the magnitude of the momentum in a given direction.

2. How is the dot product calculated in spherical coordinates?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. In the case of "r dot p," the angle between the position and momentum vectors is typically denoted as theta (θ).

3. What does the dot product of "r dot p" tell us about the system?

The dot product of "r dot p" tells us about the direction and magnitude of the momentum in a given direction. It can also be used to calculate the kinetic energy of the system.

4. How is the dot product used in simple spherical quantum mechanics?

In simple spherical quantum mechanics, the dot product is used to calculate the expectation value of various physical quantities, such as momentum, position, and energy. It is also used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the time evolution of a quantum system.

5. Are there any special properties of the dot product in spherical coordinates?

Yes, there are a few special properties of the dot product in spherical coordinates. One is that it is not commutative, meaning that the order in which the vectors are multiplied affects the result. Another is that it is dependent on the angle between the vectors, as opposed to just their magnitudes.