Simple Solenoid Problem Solution Using Ampere's Law

• Thread starter ABoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the strength of a magnetic field using Ampere's Law. The formula for this is B = uNI/L, where u is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the symbols used in the formula and recommends looking for a textbook that explains the derivation of the formula. It is noted that the ratio between the diameter and length of the solenoid can affect the accuracy of the equation. Additionally, there is a discussion about the difference between "magnetic field" and "flux density," with the latter term possibly referring to the density of magnetic flux in a given area.
ABoul

Homework Statement

the question can be found here: http://www.mailfreeonline.com/uploader/CED0D65C.jpg

Homework Equations

ampere's law

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
(is B the magnetic field?)
B = uI/L; u = 4pi x 10^-7, I = 1, L = 2pi x 0.1
so B = 2 x 10^-6

^ can anyone confirm this?

b. B = uNI/L (i'm guessing L is the radius this time). i don't know how to incorporate the length of the solenoid into this equation. i don't know the assumption either.

c. is this the same as part b but with numbers plugged in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
B = uNI/L (i'm guessing L is the radius this time)
An explanation of the letters should appear in your textbook where the formula is derived.
I looked in mine from the 1960's and it has B = uIn, where n is the number of turns per unit length. It looks like the value of B applies anywhere near the center of the coil.

My reading is that in (b) you have to derive the formula and in (c) use it to calculate the strength of the magnetic field. If your textbook doesn't have the derivation, you might look for a copy of my old Engineering Physics book - "Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It is a big blue one. The derivation begins with Ampere's Law as a path integral.

Delphi51 said:
An explanation of the letters should appear in your textbook where the formula is derived.
I looked in mine from the 1960's and it has B = uIn, where n is the number of turns per unit length. It looks like the value of B applies anywhere near the center of the coil.

My reading is that in (b) you have to derive the formula and in (c) use it to calculate the strength of the magnetic field. If your textbook doesn't have the derivation, you might look for a copy of my old Engineering Physics book - "Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It is a big blue one. The derivation begins with Ampere's Law as a path integral.

so B is constant anywhere inside the solenoid? that would make sense because the magnetic field is roughly a straight line when inside the solenoid as I've drawn it, but i still fail to see how the ratio of the length of the solenid and its diameter make a difference. also, is there a difference between "magnetic field" and "flux density"? i thought they were both given the symbol B.

ABoul said:
so B is constant anywhere inside the solenoid? that would make sense because the magnetic field is roughly a straight line when inside the solenoid as I've drawn it, but i still fail to see how the ratio of the length of the solenid and its diameter make a difference. also, is there a difference between "magnetic field" and "flux density"? i thought they were both given the symbol B.

The ratio between the diameter and length contribute to the idealization of the situation. If the diameter is comparable to the length, then the field lines in the solenoid are not "straight" enough for the equation to work.

Flux density sounds a bit funny. Its been a while since I've done this, so I may have simply forgotten what the term meant, but magnetic flux is the "bombardment" or flow of a magnetic field through an area. Flux density would depend on what density is being referred to (length, area, volume...); if its area, then it should technically simply be the magnetic field.

Related to Simple Solenoid Problem Solution Using Ampere's Law

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in electronic devices, such as motors and speakers, to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion.

How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field in and around the coil. This magnetic field can attract or repel other magnetic materials, causing the solenoid to move or exert a force. This motion can be used to perform tasks, such as opening and closing valves or moving objects.

What is the difference between an electromagnet and a solenoid?

An electromagnet is a temporary magnet that is created by running an electric current through a coil of wire. A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that is designed to produce a uniform magnetic field along its length. While both use electric currents to create magnetic fields, solenoids are typically used for more specific and precise applications.

What factors affect the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field depends on several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core (if any) inside the coil. Increasing any of these factors will generally result in a stronger magnetic field.

What are some common applications of solenoids?

Solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in electronic locks, automatic door locks, printers, and automotive systems. They are also commonly used in medical devices and industrial machinery.