Simple inequalities question I promise

• Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, to solve the inequality (x+2)/(x+4) greater or equal to 1, we first subtract 1 from both sides to get (x+2)/(x+4)-1 greater or equal to 0. Then, we simplify and get -2/(x+4) greater or equal to 0. This inequality holds when x is less than or equal to -4. Therefore, the solution in interval notation is (-Infinite, -4].
smashbrohamme
(x+2)/(x+4) greater or equal to 1.

I got two different answers here.

X is greater than 4.

Or a interval notation (-Infinite, 4) - which doesn't make sense but wouldn't the correct answer just be X is greater than 4?

which would mean (4, infinite)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
if x = 5 then you'd get 7/9 which is not greater than or equal to one, so I think you messed up your simplification.

Post your working and see if you can find the error.

I think you just have a silly problem! For all x, x+ 2< x+ 4 so you have a fraction in which the denominator is larger than the numerator.

lol shoot! I made a silly typo...its (x+2)/(x-4) greater then or equal to 1

so how would you write that in interval notation, (4, Infinite)?

HallsofIvy said:
I think you just have a silly problem! For all x, x+ 2< x+ 4 so you have a fraction in which the denominator is larger than the numerator.

If x < -4, the inequality changes its direction, so that would be the solution...

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{x+2}{x+4} \ge 1 \Leftrightarrow \\

\frac{x+2}{x+4}-1 \ge 0 \Leftrightarrow \\

\frac{(x+2)-(x+4)}{x+4} \ge 0 \Leftrightarrow \\

\frac{x+2-x-4}{x+4} \ge 0 \Leftrightarrow \\

\frac{-2}{x+4} \ge 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

When does this inequality hold, i.e. when is the ratio of a negative number and another one nonnegative?

Related to Simple inequalities question I promise

1. What is a simple inequality?

A simple inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is greater than or less than the other.

2. How do you solve a simple inequality?

To solve a simple inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and leave the constant on the other side. The solution will be in the form of an inequality, unless the variable cancels out and the inequality becomes a true statement.

3. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two quantities and shows the relationship between them using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. An equation, on the other hand, indicates that two expressions are equal to each other and is represented by an equals sign (=).

4. Can you graph a simple inequality?

Yes, you can graph a simple inequality on a number line. The solution will be represented by a shaded region on the number line, with an open or closed circle depending on whether the boundary is included in the solution or not.

5. Are there any rules for solving simple inequalities?

Yes, there are some rules to keep in mind when solving simple inequalities. When multiplying or dividing both sides by a negative number, the inequality symbol must be flipped. Also, when combining like terms, remember to maintain the direction of the inequality symbol.