Simple exposition of universal expansion law in General Relativity

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum user has shared an updated page on cosmology that includes a simple proof of the Friedmann equations, derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity. The approach used does not assume prior knowledge of general relativity and explains the relationship between matter and space-time curvature in a accessible manner. The user encourages readers to continue learning about these concepts and promotes understanding of the natural world.
spoirier
Hello. For all those to whom the concepts of general relativity, big bang and universal expansion are not clear, I just updated my page of cosmology.
There I presented a rather simple proof of the Friedmann equations, that are the particular case of the Einstein's equation of General Relativity for cosmology, but without assuming its prior knowledge by the reader. I do it through some simple descriptions of curved geometry and simple differential equations (with just one variable: time), without any explicit use of the tensor formalism. This presentation can be used as an introduction to General Relativity, as it explains the relation between the simplest (diagonal) components of matter (energy and pressure) and space-time curvature, that can suffice for some simple cases, without the full mathematical formalism that would be needed for more complex situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your updated page on cosmology. I appreciate efforts to make complex concepts more accessible to the general public. Your approach of presenting a simple proof of the Friedmann equations without assuming prior knowledge of general relativity is commendable.

The Friedmann equations are crucial in understanding the evolution of our universe and are derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity. By explaining the relationship between matter and space-time curvature in a simple manner, your presentation can serve as a useful introduction to general relativity.

I would also like to encourage readers to continue learning about these concepts and to not be discouraged by the complexity of the subject. As scientists, it is our responsibility to share knowledge and promote understanding of the natural world.

Thank you again for your contribution to the field of cosmology. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Related to Simple exposition of universal expansion law in General Relativity

1. What is the universal expansion law in General Relativity?

The universal expansion law in General Relativity is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the expansion of the universe over time. It is based on the theory of General Relativity, which explains the relationship between space, time, and matter.

2. How does the universal expansion law affect the observable universe?

The universal expansion law states that the distance between any two points in the universe increases over time. This means that the observable universe is constantly expanding, and objects that are farther away from us appear to be moving away at a faster rate than those that are closer.

3. What evidence supports the universal expansion law?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the universal expansion law is the observation of redshift in the light from distant galaxies. This redshift indicates that the galaxies are moving away from us, and the farther away they are, the faster they are moving. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the early universe, also supports the theory of universal expansion.

4. Can the universal expansion law be applied to all scales of the universe?

Yes, the universal expansion law applies to all scales of the universe. It describes the expansion of the universe as a whole, as well as the expansion of individual galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

5. How does the universal expansion law relate to the Big Bang theory?

The universal expansion law is a key component of the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singular point and has been expanding ever since. The expansion of the universe is what allows for the formation and evolution of galaxies, stars, and planets.