Silly math problem (precipitation)

In summary, the conversation was about a simple math problem on precipitation. The problem involved recording the amount of water received by a rain gauge and calculating the total volume of water if it fell over the City of Guelph. The question also asked if this volume was greater or less than the average volume of water that flows through the city's river in 24 hours. The conversation also mentioned difficulty in calculating the volume and the importance of using consistent units in conversions.
yoshi6
Hello everyone. I have this simple math problem that is worth 5 marks and I am not sure if it is right. Anyway it is on precipitation, here it is!

Record the amount of water (in centimetres) the tipping bucket rain gauge received. Calculate the total volume of water this would equal if this amount fell over the City of Guelph (area 86km squared). Is this volume greater or less than the average volume of water which flows through the city in the Spped River during a 24 hour period (average flow rate = 5.8mcubed per second).

Okay so first I am having trouble calculating the volume, I don't know why:

my recordings are: the amount of water (in centimetres) is four tenths of an inch--coverted equals 1.01600cm.

so, can I calculate this by multiplying 1.01600 x 86km

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
oops sorry i just read that i can't posthis here

yoshi6 said:
Hello everyone. I have this simple math problem that is worth 5 marks and I am not sure if it is right. Anyway it is on precipitation, here it is!

Record the amount of water (in centimetres) the tipping bucket rain gauge received. Calculate the total volume of water this would equal if this amount fell over the City of Guelph (area 86km squared). Is this volume greater or less than the average volume of water which flows through the city in the Spped River during a 24 hour period (average flow rate = 5.8mcubed per second).

Okay so first I am having trouble calculating the volume, I don't know why:

my recordings are: the amount of water (in centimetres) is four tenths of an inch--coverted equals 1.01600cm.

so, can I calculate this by multiplying 1.01600 x 86km

THANKS!
If I understand this correctly- that there was no "funnel" to channel a lot of water into a small area (some rain guages are built that way to make it easier to read small amounts of water) then saying 1.016 cm fell on the bucket, then 1.016 cm would fall on every "bit" of the city. However, you cannot multiply 1.016 cm by 86 km- in fact there is no "86 km"; the area is 86 square kilometers. Convert 86 square kilometers to square cm Multiplying that by 1.016 cm will give the volume in cubic cm.
Now you are told that the Spped River has a flow of 5.8 cubic meters per second. Convert 24 hours to seconds (there are 60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per hour) and multiply by 5.8 cubic meters per second to determine the total flow in cubic meters. In order to compare that to the volume in cubic centimeters calculated above, either convert the cubic centimeter volume to cubic meters or vice-versa.

THANKYOU! I see now

no nevermind, i don't think it is working out properly...hmm

no nevermind, i don't think it is working out properly...hmm

Just make sure you use consuistant units whan finding the volume. If you have the area in meters_squared then multiply by the rain depth in meters to get volume in meters_cubed etc.

Also when converting square or cubic units then make sure you use the appropriate power in the conversion. For example 1 m^2 is 100^2 cm^2 (10,000 square_cm) and 1 m^3 is 100^3 cm^3 (1000,000 cubic_cm). Failure to convert units correctly is a common source of error in this type of question.

Related to Silly math problem (precipitation)

What is a "Silly math problem (precipitation)"?

A "Silly math problem (precipitation)" is a type of math problem that involves using humorous or nonsensical situations to solve a mathematical equation. These problems are often used to make math more engaging and fun for students.

Why are "Silly math problems (precipitation)" used in education?

"Silly math problems (precipitation)" are used in education to make learning math more enjoyable and to help students develop critical thinking skills. They can also help students see the practical application of math in everyday situations.

Can "Silly math problems (precipitation)" be used in higher level math courses?

Yes, "Silly math problems (precipitation)" can be used in higher level math courses. While they may seem simple or silly, these problems often require complex mathematical equations and critical thinking skills to solve. They can also be used as a fun review or warm-up activity for more advanced math concepts.

Are there any drawbacks to using "Silly math problems (precipitation)" in education?

Some educators may argue that using "Silly math problems (precipitation)" can detract from the seriousness of learning math and may not accurately reflect the real-world applications of math. However, when used in moderation and with clear learning objectives, these problems can be a valuable tool for engaging students in math.

How can I create my own "Silly math problems (precipitation)"?

To create your own "Silly math problems (precipitation)", start by thinking of a humorous or nonsensical situation and then determine what mathematical equation or concept could be applied to it. Use creativity and imagination to make the problem engaging and fun for students. You can also search online for pre-made "Silly math problems (precipitation)" to use in your lessons.