Sign Convention for Geometrical Optics

In summary, Vivek recommends that students read "Fundamentals in Optics" by Jenkins and White. He also suggests that the real-virtual sign convention be used when dealing with more complex optical problems.
maverick280857
Hi

Could someone point me to websites with tutorials on the real-virtual sign convention for geometric optics (and possibly other known conventions too)? I've been googling for some time but the results aren't too satisfying.

PS--Tutorials with mathematics are preferred...

Thanks and cheers
vivek

Science news on Phys.org
Just a reminder...

Thought these might help:

http://cord.org/step_online/st1-3/st13eii3.htm
http://cord.org/step_online/st1-3/st13j.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Reshma. Thanks a pile for the links. They are indeed useful (I think I came across the first site yesterday but I'm not sure I saw it properly). I figured that the real/virtual sign convention is well suited for my purpose.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Just another tip: the sign convention in optics is exactly analogous to the cartesian coordinate system.

For more in mirror and lens systems, "Fundamentals in Optics" by Jenkins and White is an excellent book(a bit advanced though but worth a read).

Hope your JEE preparations are going well. Good luck!

Hi Reshma

First off, thanks for your reply. Yes I do read Jenkins and White and I had been using the Cartesian Sign Convention (as mentioned in Ghatak and other Indian books) earlier, but I realized that it isn't a good tool to handle more complex problems---in particular those involving optical trains, silvered lens and combination of lenses+motion, etc. For more complex situations (and even for simple ones) the Real-Virtual sign convention is very straightforward. It has been in existence for several years (the first documented explanation I encountered was in Physics Part II by Resnick and Halliday and appears comprehensively in Resnick/Halliday/Krane) but very few people in India use it.

I was looking for websites which would address the nuances of sign conventions (which books don't speak of anyway) earlier and I thought I may find some useful information but most websites assume at the outset that objects are to the left of the vertex and then of course the convention is obvious. They do not discuss virtual objects, images etc. in detail using their own convention. Even books like Hecht have used similar conventions.

IF you happen to come across Krane volume II, you must see the clarity with which the R-side/V-side convention has been described. Eventually it boils down to just four points for ALL kinds of refracting surfaces.

Thanks and cheers
vivek

PS--This is usefull too: www.phas.ucalgary.ca/phys323/fall/notes/optics.pdf[/URL]

Thanks for the link, it is very cool!

Well, if you see, first of all there isn't a single good book which covers optics comprehensively. I use Resnick, Halliday & Walker(not sure if it is different from Krane). Even in this book sign conventions are mostly assumed or left to the reader(ditto with University Physics).

If I do come across Krane's book, I will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reshma said:
Well, if you see, first of all there isn't a single good book which covers optics comprehensively.

Bingo. I couldn't agree more. At the same time though, I think that we're asking too much for optics authors--in the west (and in IITs too--I don't know anything about other univs) its a general practice not to spoonfeed and to let students do a lot of background reading themselves, get involved in discussions and form their own ideas supplemented with fundamentals from instructors. The situation is quite different for some of us who are exposed to coaching schools for JEE prep (or other exam prep)--we're literally spoonfed...told EVERYTHING and little is left to think (that's a bad thing but not everyone would agree with me...I don't mean to sound ideal but it's bad nonetheless).

As I come across more optics resources, I'll post them here for the benefit of students new to optics...

Cheers
vivek

You could entertain yourself more with this link: http://home.wanadoo.nl/perpetual/radiation.html . Press the start button to launch an applet.

Related to Sign Convention for Geometrical Optics

What is the Sign Convention for Geometrical Optics?

The Sign Convention for Geometrical Optics is a set of rules used to determine the direction of light rays and the sign of focal lengths and object distances in optical systems. It is a standardized method used in optics to simplify calculations and analysis.

What are the three main elements of the Sign Convention for Geometrical Optics?

The three main elements of the Sign Convention for Geometrical Optics are the object, the lens, and the image. The object is the source of light, the lens is the refracting medium, and the image is the location where the light rays converge or appear to diverge.

What is the sign convention for object distances in geometrical optics?

According to the sign convention for object distances, an object placed on the same side as the incident light rays has a positive distance, while an object placed on the opposite side has a negative distance. This means that the distance is measured from the lens towards the object.

What is the sign convention for focal lengths in geometrical optics?

The sign convention for focal lengths states that a converging lens has a positive focal length, while a diverging lens has a negative focal length. This means that the focal length is measured from the lens towards the point where the light rays converge or appear to diverge.

How is the sign convention used to determine the nature of an image in geometrical optics?

The sign convention is used to determine the nature of an image by looking at the sign of the object and image distances. If both distances have the same sign, the image is real and inverted. If the distances have opposite signs, the image is virtual and upright. Additionally, the magnification can also be determined by comparing the absolute values of the distances.