Sigma Notation Problem: Evaluating a Series with n=5 and d=6

In summary, the correct answer for evaluating the sum of (6n + 1) from n=5 to n=12 is 416. The mistake was made in counting the number of terms, which should have been 8 instead of 12. The correct formula for finding the sum is S = n/2[2a + (n-1)d] where a is the first term and d is the common difference. Remember that the number of terms is equal to (b-a+1) when summing from a to b.
Vipul
[a]1. Homework Statement [/b]

Evaluate:
[tex]\sum[/tex] (6n + 1)
n=5

2. The attempt at the solution
So, how do i go about doing this? I tried finding the first three numbers of the series to find the difference by substituting n = 5,6,7 and then use the Sum formula S = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]. But the answer turned out to be wrong. The correct answer to this is 416.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that you are summing from n=5 to n=12, not n=0 to n=12. Does that make a difference? Can't really tell because tyou never showed your working.

Sorry about that.
So i substituted n = 5,6,7
so the sequences is as follows: 31,37,43.
So from the sequence a = 31 and d = 6
Substituting into the formula S = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]

S = 12/2 [2(31) + (12-1)6]
S = 6[62 + 66]
S = 6 X 128
S = 768
The answer i get is pretty farout from the actual answer.EDIT : Found the solution. the number of terms is 8, not 12. Because you actually count the number of terms from 5 to 12.

Last edited:
Correct, you should remember that if you are summing from a to b there are (b-a+1) terms. If you take (b-a) terms you will be one short because you have not included a as your first term. Examine this, think of the difference as being equal to the number of bracketed things (if that makes sense):

b-a = (a+1),(a+2),(a+3),...(b)
b-a+1= [(a+1),(a+2),(a+3),...(b)]+1
OR:
b-a+1= (a),(a+1),(a+2),(a+3),...,(b)

Do you see why it should be b-a+1 and not b-a ?

I am sorry if I am labouring the point too much :(

Yes, got the point. Thanks a lot :D

Related to Sigma Notation Problem: Evaluating a Series with n=5 and d=6

1. What is Sigma Notation?

Sigma Notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and is followed by an expression and the range of values over which the expression is to be summed.

2. How do you read and interpret Sigma Notation?

To read and interpret Sigma Notation, you start with the value below the sigma symbol and add up the terms until you reach the value above the sigma symbol. For example, Σn=1to10n would be read as "the sum of n from 1 to 10."

3. What is the purpose of using Sigma Notation?

The purpose of Sigma Notation is to simplify and compactly represent a series of numbers or terms. It allows for easier calculations and can also help identify patterns and relationships between terms in a series.

4. How do you use Sigma Notation to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using Sigma Notation, you first write out the expression you are summing and the range of values. Then, you substitute each value in the range into the expression and add them together to find the sum.

5. Can Sigma Notation be used for other mathematical operations besides addition?

Yes, Sigma Notation can be used for other operations such as subtraction, multiplication, and division. The operation symbol is placed in between the expression and the range of values. For example, Σn=1to10n² would represent the sum of n squared from 1 to 10.