Showing the uniform convergence of a gaussian function-like series

In summary, LCKurtz attempted to use a bell-curve function to solve a homework equation, but was unsuccessful in finding a suitable expression. He then asks for help from someone else and demonstrates that the series converges uniformly on the set -\epsilon,\epsilon\big[ where \epsilon>0.
dane502

Homework Statement

Prove that the series [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-n^2x^2}[/tex] converges uniformly on the set [tex]\mathbb{R}\backslash\ \big] -\epsilon,\epsilon\big[[/tex] where [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using Weierstrass M-test but I have not been able to find a suitable series.
As my topic implies I thought I could use some a series of a bell-curve like function, which I have some experience with from a probability course.
But I have a problem finding a suitable expression - let alone showing that this series convergence.

I would appreciate if someone could help getting me started (preferably without solving the entire exercise).

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding a function > exp(-n^2 * x^2) for every n and whose integral over R is finite.

dane502 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the series [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-n^2x^2}[/tex] converges uniformly on the set [tex]\mathbb{R}\backslash\ \big] -\epsilon,\epsilon\big[[/tex] where [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using Weierstrass M-test but I have not been able to find a suitable series.
As my topic implies I thought I could use some a series of a bell-curve like function, which I have some experience with from a probability course.
But I have a problem finding a suitable expression - let alone showing that this series convergence.

I would appreciate if someone could help getting me started (preferably without solving the entire exercise).

Well, since [itex]e^{-n^2x^2}[/itex] decreases as |x| increases you have

[tex]e^{-n^2x^2}\le e^{-n^2\epsilon^2}[/tex]

if |x| ≥ ε. Now since negative exponentials decay fast, you should be able construct a comparison with Σ1/n2.

Got it! Thank you very much, LCKurtz.

For my personal interest, would someone care to comment on whether or not the sets
[tex]
\mathbb{R}\backslash\ \left\{ 0 \right\}
[/tex]

and
[tex]
\mathbb{R}\backslash\ \left] -\epsilon,\epsilon \right[
[/tex]
where [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], are the same?

dane502 said:
Got it! Thank you very much, LCKurtz.

For my personal interest, would someone care to comment on whether or not the sets
[tex]
\mathbb{R}\backslash\ \left\{ 0 \right\}
[/tex]

and
[tex]
\mathbb{R}\backslash\ \left] -\epsilon,\epsilon \right[
[/tex]
where [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], are the same?

No, they aren't. ε/2 is in the first but not the second.

That is a convincing argument, although I have a hard time visualizing the difference between the two sets, when ε→0..
With regards to the original topic, I have another question. We have shown that the series converges uniformly, which is all I needed to show, but i would also like to know to WHAT it converges, ie. the limit. Would someone care to comment on that?

If I may add another question to the above, are the two sets equal for ε→0?

dane502 said:
If I may add another question to the above, are the two sets equal for ε→0?

For ε→0 the sets are the same. But if only the only requirement is ε>0, then LCKurtz's argument stands. I don't know how to calculate the value of the limit, but try using Maple, Mathematica etc.

I only have maple, and it is unable to evaluate the sum. Does anybody have another idea?

dane502 said:
I only have maple, and it is unable to evaluate the sum. Does anybody have another idea?

I don't think you are likely to find a formula for the sum. Probably the best you could hope for is that it is a common enough sum that it has been given a name and its properties have been studied as, for example, Bessel functions have. Or it may be just another convergent series with a no-name sum.

Related to Showing the uniform convergence of a gaussian function-like series

1. What is a gaussian function-like series?

A gaussian function-like series is a mathematical series that follows the same shape and properties as a gaussian function, which is a bell-shaped curve commonly used to represent normal distributions in statistics. It is a continuous function that decreases exponentially on either side of its peak value.

2. How is uniform convergence defined?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence where the rate of convergence is independent of the point of convergence. In simpler terms, it means that the series converges to the same value at every point within its domain, as opposed to pointwise convergence where the rate of convergence can vary at different points.

3. What is the significance of proving uniform convergence in a gaussian function-like series?

Proving uniform convergence in a gaussian function-like series is important because it ensures that the series accurately represents the underlying function. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the series, making it a useful tool in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. What methods can be used to show uniform convergence in a gaussian function-like series?

There are several methods that can be used to show uniform convergence in a gaussian function-like series, including the Weierstrass M-test, the Cauchy criterion, and the Dini's test. These methods involve comparing the series to known convergent functions or manipulating the series to show that it converges uniformly.

5. Are there any practical applications of uniform convergence in gaussian function-like series?

Yes, there are many practical applications of uniform convergence in gaussian function-like series, particularly in the fields of statistics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the probability distribution of data, such as in the central limit theorem, or to approximate continuous functions in numerical analysis.