Showing the existence of two C^1 functions that satisfy certain equations.

In summary, the homework problem involves finding two C^1 functions that satisfy certain requirements in an open neighborhood of a given point. The suggested approach is to assume the functions exist and then show that they can be continuously differentiable, but the student is unsure if this is the correct method. The equations given are a system of linear equations that need to be solved for f1^2 and f2^2.
mistahkurtz

Homework Statement

z4ten.png

Just a clarification: the two last equations must hold in an open neighborhood of the point (2, 1, -1, -2), not just at that point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to do an existence proof. The shortest way of accomplishing this would just be to just construct two C^1 functions that satisfy the requirements:

(1) f1(2,1,-1,-2)=4
(2) f2(2, 1, -1, -2)=3
(3) f1^2 + f2^2 + x4^2 = 29
(4) f1^2 / x1^2 + f1^2 / x2^2 + x4^2 / x3^2 = 17

But I've tried unsuccessfully to solve for f1 and f2 from the above equations, and at just guessing and checking.

I guess the strategy I have to take is to simply assume f1 and f2 are functions satisfying (1)-(4), and then show that they can indeed be continuously differentiable. However, I'm not exactly sure if this is the right way to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations 3 & 4 is a system of linear equations in f1^2 , f2^2.

Related to Showing the existence of two C^1 functions that satisfy certain equations.

1. What is the importance of showing the existence of two C^1 functions?

The existence of two C^1 functions is important in many areas of science, particularly in the fields of mathematics and physics. These functions can help describe the behavior of complex systems and provide valuable insights into their properties and dynamics.

2. What does it mean for a function to be C^1?

A function is said to be C^1, or continuously differentiable, if it has a continuous derivative. This means that the function's rate of change is also continuous, allowing for smooth and predictable behavior.

3. How can I show the existence of two C^1 functions?

To show the existence of two C^1 functions that satisfy certain equations, you will need to use mathematical techniques such as the implicit function theorem or the Picard-Lindelöf theorem. These theorems provide conditions under which solutions to certain equations exist.

4. What are some practical applications of showing the existence of two C^1 functions?

The existence of two C^1 functions can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, in engineering, these functions can help model the behavior of physical systems, while in economics, they can be used to describe market dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the existence of two C^1 functions?

Yes, there are limitations to the existence of two C^1 functions. The equations that need to be satisfied in order to show their existence must meet specific conditions, and not all equations will have solutions. Additionally, the functions may only exist within a certain domain or for a limited range of values.