Showing the bessel function is entire

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of proving that the Bessel function is an entire function. The speaker compares the Bessel function's Taylor series to the convergent series $e^{-(\frac{z}{2})^2}$ to show its convergence. This approach is considered simpler and faster than using a ratio test, which was suggested in a previous thread.
nacho-man
Hi,
I actually posted this problem a while back on a separate forums:

And got a response, but still cannot seem to figure out how to do this question

Given a ratio test can be used, we must first define a p(z) and q(z)

so we can see if the sum for $$ \frac{p(z)}{q(z)} $$ converges,
but the denominator doesn't even have a complex variable in terms of $z$, so how is this possible?

Any help is much appreciated, this one is wrinkling my brain!

for z = 0 it converges.

for z =/ 0, we convert it to the form

$\frac{a_n+1}{a_n}$ , or do we use j?
thanks!

Attachments

• exercise q.jpg
    exercise q.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Hi,
I actually posted this problem a while back on a separate forums:

And got a response, but still cannot seem to figure out how to do this question

Given a ratio test can be used, we must first define a p(z) and q(z)

so we can see if the sum for $$ \frac{p(z)}{q(z)} $$ converges,
but the denominator doesn't even have a complex variable in terms of $z$, so how is this possible?

Any help is much appreciated, this one is wrinkling my brain!

for z = 0 it converges.

for z =/ 0, we convert it to the form

$\frac{a_n+1}{a_n}$ , or do we use j?
thanks!

Let's start with the demonstration that $J_{n} (z)$ is an entire function, i.e. its Taylor series converges for any value of z. We have...

$\displaystyle J_{n} (z) = (\frac{z}{2})^{n}\ \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{j}}{j!\ (n+j)!}\ (\frac{z}{2})^{2 j}\ (1)$

... and if we compare the series in (1) with the series...

$\displaystyle e^{- (\frac{z}{2})^{2}} = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{j}}{j!}\ (\frac{z}{2})^{2 j}\ (2)$

... that converges for any z we discover that also the series in (1) converges for any z, i.e. $J_{n} (z)$ is an entire function...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Let's start with the demonstration that $J_{n} (z)$ is an entire function, i.e. its Taylor series converges for any value of z. We have...

$\displaystyle J_{n} (z) = (\frac{z}{2})^{n}\ \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{j}}{j!\ (n+j)!}\ (\frac{z}{2})^{2 j}\ (1)$

... and if we compare the series in (1) with the series...

$\displaystyle e^{- (\frac{z}{2})^{2}} = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{j}}{j!}\ (\frac{z}{2})^{2 j}\ (2)$

... that converges for any z we discover that also the series in (1) converges for any z, i.e. $J_{n} (z)$ is an entire function...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

What is the name of the second series you are comparing it to? (if it has one)
I see the main method you used here was to break a part the bessel function, so it came in the form of a known convergent series which you previously knew about.

is this a more viable approach/quicker/simpler than what the user in the previous thread opted for? which was to use a ratio test to show its convergence?

Related to Showing the bessel function is entire

1. What is the definition of an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and holomorphic (i.e. differentiable) at every point in the complex plane.

2. How is the Bessel function defined?

The Bessel function is defined as a family of special functions that arise in solving certain types of differential equations. It is denoted as Jn(z) and is a solution to the Bessel differential equation.

3. What is the significance of showing that the Bessel function is entire?

Showing that the Bessel function is entire is important because it means that the function is defined and holomorphic at every point in the complex plane. This allows for the use of complex analysis techniques in studying the properties and behavior of the Bessel function.

4. What are the steps to show that the Bessel function is entire?

To show that the Bessel function is entire, we need to prove that it is holomorphic at every point in the complex plane. This can be done by showing that the function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations and that its derivative is also holomorphic.

5. What are some applications of the Bessel function?

The Bessel function has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of wave propagation, heat transfer, and signal processing. It is also used in solving problems related to cylindrical and spherical geometries, making it useful in areas such as electromagnetics and fluid mechanics.