Show that a line does not intersect a plane (vectors)

In summary: I really appreciate it.In summary, a plane given by the equation 4x + 5y + 7z = 21 and a line given by the equation r = (1,2,3) + λ(1,2,-2) do not intersect because the normal vector (4,5,7) is perpendicular to the line's direction vector (1,2,-2), which means the line is parallel to the plane. This is shown by the fact that their dot product is equal to 0.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

A plane is given by the equation: [itex] 4x + 5y + 7z = 21 [/itex]
and a line by the equation [itex] r = (1,2,3) + \lambda (1,2,-2) [/itex] where λ is real.

Show that the line does not intersect the plane.

The attempt at a solution
So if I remember correctly, if [itex] n . a = 0 [/itex], they do not intersect, where n is the normal vector and a is the direction of the line, ie. n = (4,5,7) and a = (1,2,-2)
n . a gives 4 + 10 - 14 which is 0.

However I'm more confused by the theory. If n . a = 0, does this not mean that they are perpendicular? So why wouldn't they intersect?
I know I must be looking at this the wrong way, but I can't see where :/
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
However I'm more confused by the theory. If n . a = 0, does this not mean that they are perpendicular? So why wouldn't they intersect?
The n vector is perpendicular to the plane.
If the line is perpendicular to the n vector then...

Note: it is not good enough just to show that n.a=0, you also have to show the line is not in the plane.

Jon.G said:

Homework Statement

A plane is given by the equation: [itex] 4x + 5y + 7z = 21 [/itex]
and a line by the equation [itex] r = (1,2,3) + \lambda (1,2,-2) [/itex] where λ is real.

Show that the line does not intersect the plane.

The attempt at a solution
So if I remember correctly, if [itex] n . a = 0 [/itex], they do not intersect, where n is the normal vector and a is the direction of the line, ie. n = (4,5,7) and a = (1,2,-2)
n . a gives 4 + 10 - 14 which is 0.

Your confusion is in the word "they". In your first sentence "they" refers to the two vectors. In the second sentence "they" refers to the line and plane.

I know I must be looking at this the wrong way, but I can't see where :/
Thanks

Yeah, that's a very simple mistake I made there :/
Thank for pointing that out

Related to Show that a line does not intersect a plane (vectors)

1. What is the definition of a line?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions and is defined by two points.

2. How is a line represented in vector form?

A line can be represented in vector form as r = a + tb, where r is a point on the line, a is the position vector of any point on the line, t is a scalar (parameter), and b is the direction vector of the line.

3. What is the definition of a plane?

A plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions and is defined by three non-collinear points.

4. How is a plane represented in vector form?

A plane can be represented in vector form as r = a + sb + tc, where r is a point on the plane, a is the position vector of any point on the plane, and b and c are direction vectors of the plane that are not parallel.

5. How do you determine if a line does not intersect a plane?

A line and a plane do not intersect if the direction vector of the line is perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane. This can be determined by taking the dot product of the direction vector and the normal vector. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the line and plane are parallel and do not intersect.