Should I pursue a B.S. in Physics?

In summary, NE major student is thinking about switching to Physics at the start of their 2nd year, but is unsure if their low grades are a warning sign. They have talked to their NE and Physics faculty and are interested in space exploration.
Haindi
I am currently an NE major, but I am on the verge of switching to Physics at the start of my 2nd year.

I have received B's in Calc 2-3 and in Engineering Physics I ( a massive weed out course) 120 students started out in that class, only 26 are registered in the 2nd Engineering Physics class( a 2 part series)(60% dropped in the semester)

I have a 3.55 overall, 3.45 in NE major. If I switched to Physics my Major GPA would be 3.21. (3.9 in my Generals)

I am interested in dark matter research, for the fact that we don't know what 95% of our universe is made of intrigues me.

Do you think I should major in Physics or are my low grades a warning sign. ( I am in the Honors Program, if that changes anything)

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you must pursue your interests
and let the grades go to the dustbin
who knows maybe you will be the future of the world

Haindi said:
I am currently an NE major, but I am on the verge of switching to Physics at the start of my 2nd year.

I have received B's in Calc 2-3 and in Engineering Physics I ( a massive weed out course) 120 students started out in that class, only 26 are registered in the 2nd Engineering Physics class( a 2 part series)(60% dropped in the semester)

I have a 3.55 overall, 3.45 in NE major. If I switched to Physics my Major GPA would be 3.21. (3.9 in my Generals)

I am interested in dark matter research, for the fact that we don't know what 95% of our universe is made of intrigues me.

Do you think I should major in Physics or are my low grades a warning sign. ( I am in the Honors Program, if that changes anything)

So you mainly had B's? Those are not really low grades. Sure, you should try to do better, but I don't think you will need to worry much at this stage. Just work hard.

Haindi said:

From your other post you were interested in space exploration. It's okay to not know exactly what you want to do at this stage in life, but for your major you probably need to nail that down by the end of the 2nd year. Have you talked to your NE and Physics faculty yet?

I am interested in space exploration. Physics is more versatile, so I am thinking of going with it. With Physics I can go back to Engineering as well. What do you think? I will be talking to a Physics faculty member in a week when I get back to campus.

Related to Should I pursue a B.S. in Physics?

1. What can I do with a B.S. in Physics?

With a B.S. in Physics, there are a variety of career options available. You can work in research and development, engineering, teaching, or even pursue a career in finance or data analysis. Additionally, many physics majors go on to graduate school to further specialize in a particular area of physics.

2. Is a B.S. in Physics a challenging degree?

Yes, pursuing a B.S. in Physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a dedication to problem solving. Physics courses can be challenging, but they also provide a sense of satisfaction when you are able to understand and apply complex concepts.

3. What skills will I gain from a B.S. in Physics?

A B.S. in Physics will provide you with a strong foundation in scientific principles and problem-solving skills. You will also develop critical thinking, analytical, and mathematical skills that are applicable in various industries and careers.

4. What are the job prospects for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, technology, and healthcare. They are also highly sought after for their problem-solving and analytical skills, making them attractive candidates for a variety of careers.

5. Should I pursue a B.S. in Physics if I am not planning on a career in science?

While a B.S. in Physics can lead to a career in science, it also provides a strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any career. Many physics majors go on to work in fields such as finance, data analysis, and engineering, where their skills are highly sought after.