Should I drop all lab (2nd/3rd year)?

In summary, it would be harder to get a job in physics if you drop experimental courses, but you may gain more skills that are transferable.
11thHeaven
I'm a student of physics at the University of Edinburgh in the UK. I'm going into my third year of a four year bachelors course. I now need to decide whether to continue with an ordinary physics degree or whether to choose the theoretical stream, which involves replacing all remaining experimental courses it with extra maths and theoretical options.

I don't much enjoy lab work, and I am more interested in theoretical physics. However, I can't help feeling dropping experimental work would handicap me both in my understanding of the subject - I see physics as a natural science before anything else - and in my chances to remain in physics post graduation.

In addition, I believe I'd gain more in the way of transferable skills were I to continue with experimental work. Data analysis, the hands on nature of designing and carrying out an experiment and report writing are the things which immediately come to mind. I'd gain more mathematical proficiency if I were to take the theoretical stream, but I don't see that making a difference to a potential employer.

However, I also feel that this is the one time I'll be able to study what most interests me, and that my grades will reflect my enjoyment in what I'm studying. Ultimately, I think that continuing with lab work would be better for me, but maybe less enjoyable.

Could anyone here offer advice on this dilemma? Is it easier to go from an experimental undergrad to a theoretical grad programme than vice versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
It wouldn't hurt to have at least one solid lab class. Many universities require some kind of senior lab. In undergrad, most of your classes are already theory and lecture, right? There probably isn't a distinction between theoretical and experimental at the undergrad level, so you should try and get some experience in both.

Khashishi said:
It wouldn't hurt to have at least one solid lab class. Many universities require some kind of senior lab. In undergrad, most of your classes are already theory and lecture, right? There probably isn't a distinction between theoretical and experimental at the undergrad level, so you should try and get some experience in both.

Where I study, one can choose the theoretical stream, in which case there is no senior lab at all. I've already taken experimental classes this past year.

My question was whether it would be harmful to my future were I to take this route.

Related to Should I drop all lab (2nd/3rd year)?

1. Should I drop all lab in my 2nd or 3rd year of college?

It ultimately depends on your individual situation and goals. Dropping all lab may be necessary for some students due to conflicts with other courses or personal circumstances. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your academic progress and future plans. It is recommended to speak with your academic advisor before making a decision.

2. Will dropping all lab affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It could potentially have an impact, as lab experience is highly valued in many graduate programs. However, dropping lab may be necessary in certain cases and it is important to explain your reasons in your application. Additionally, you can still gain lab experience through other opportunities such as internships or research projects outside of your coursework.

3. Can I still pursue a career in science without completing all lab requirements?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful career in science without completing all lab requirements. However, it may limit your options and opportunities in certain fields. It is important to consider your long-term goals and assess whether dropping lab will align with them.

4. How will dropping all lab affect my overall GPA?

This will depend on your performance in the other courses you are taking. If you are struggling in lab and it is dragging down your GPA, dropping it may actually have a positive impact. However, if you are doing well in lab and it is one of your stronger subjects, dropping it may lower your overall GPA. It is important to consider your academic strengths and weaknesses before making a decision.

5. Is it better to drop lab now or risk getting a low grade?

This is a personal decision that should be based on your individual circumstances. If you are struggling in lab and it is negatively impacting your overall academic performance, dropping it may be the best option. However, if you are confident in your ability to improve and are determined to complete the lab requirements, it may be worth trying to stick it out. Consider speaking with your instructor or academic advisor for guidance.