Should I buy Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics?

In summary: You might want to check out some of these books:Another classic is Ashcroft and Mermin, which I like for looking up something about solid-state physics, but I'm not an expert in this field. You might want to check out some of these books:In summary, you should buy Kittlel's Introduction to Solid State Physics if you are looking for a good primer on the topic, or you could consider Solid State Physics by AJ Dekker if you want a more in-depth treatment.
Slimy0233
I want to know your opinion on whether I should buy Kittlel's Introduction to Solid State Physics or some other book to study Solid State Physics. I was going through the solutions manual for the book and I realized that it had only 72 questions in it. I was wondering if it was enough to get a good understanding of Solid State Physics? Should I be buying other books along with Kittel to get a deeper understanding of the topic as well as solve problems? thank you! Or should I go with Solid State Pysics by AJ Dekker?

Edit: I have Problems in General Physics by IE Irodov, might this and Kittel be enough?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
You could find course websites which uses Kittel as main book and see if you can find homeworks, additional problems, old exams and such

Have you considered https://www.amazon.com/dp/352740855X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or https://www.amazon.se/gp/aw/d/9814366870/
Hey, I just found out that Kittel is not that easy to understand and Dekker would be an excellent book for a beginner. Do you agree with this?

Thank you again! (might make a post about this, this has hardly been discussed in this forum)

Another classic is Ashcroft and Mermin, which I like for looking up something about solid-state physics, but I'm not an expert in this field.

Likes mpresic3