Shear Stress of a particular length rod

In summary, the yield strength of stainless steel is 520Mpa due to shearing stress. The stress is not affected by the length of the rod, but only by the cross-section area. The yield strength is measured in Mpa, which is a unit of pressure equivalent to 100,000 Kg/m^2 or 145 psi. When using this information to calculate the deformation of a rod, the applied stress, mechanical properties, and geometry of the rod are needed. Simple approximate solutions may work for thin beams, but a rod with an aspect ratio of 10 may require more complex calculations.
pukey123
Just a quick question:

Wikipedia tells me that due the shearing stress, the yeild strength of Stainless Steel is 520Mpa

But how can i find out the Yeild strength of a 100mm long rod with diameter 10mm.

Is the info for wikipedia based on a 1mx1mx1m cube? or some sort of SI unit.

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The stress doesn't depend on the length of the rod - it only depend son the cross section area.
Mpa is mega pascal - is a unit of pressure, 1 pa is one Newton/m^2
So 1Mpa is around 100,000 Kg/m^2, or 145psi

i see, but the what cross section area are the stresses relating to? and does it also depend on the shape?

If i see the value of 520MPA in a book for s steel, how can i use that to aplly it to a rod with a given diameter?

Calculating the deformation of a rod requires three things- the applied stress, the mechanical properties of the rod, and the geometry of the rod. All you have right now is (I'm guessing) the Young's modulus for a particular type of stainless steel and the geometry of the rod.

Try surfing through these, see if it helps:

http://www.clag.org.uk/beam-menu.html
http://www.mhhe.com/engcs/engmech/beerjohnston/mom/lectureppt.mhtml
http://www.grantadesign.com/resources/shapes/solutions/elastic.htm

Note- thin beams have a simple approximate solution. Yours, with an aspect ratio of 10, may or may not be amenable to that approximation.

Related to Shear Stress of a particular length rod

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the surface of a material, causing it to deform or slide.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface of a material by the cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What is the unit of measurement for shear stress?

The unit of measurement for shear stress is typically expressed in Pascals (Pa), which is equivalent to one Newton per square meter (N/m²).

4. How does the length of a rod affect shear stress?

The longer the rod, the higher the shear stress. This is because a longer rod will experience a greater force and will have a larger cross-sectional area, leading to a higher shear stress.

5. What factors can affect the shear stress of a rod?

The shear stress of a rod can be affected by its length, the material it is made of, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the presence of any external constraints or supports.