Shear force with a mirrored triangular load

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the shear force at point D of a beam, using sign conventions for cut at D and considering the left-hand side free body diagram. The solution involves finding the reaction forces at A and B, and then taking the moments at A to determine the shear force. However, the incorrect answer is due to not accounting for the bending moment at D. By considering all moments, the correct answer of 5 is obtained.
sukibelle

Homework Statement

Determine shear force at point D of Beam
http://tinypic.com/r/339m5b6/7

Homework Equations

Sign conventions for cut at d when considering LHSFBD
M = xFy - yFx - cross product...

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the reaction forces by finding the sum of moments about A (the pin).. Ay and By reaction forces are 9 Kn up..
then i went to find shear force by taking a cut across D and considering the LHS FBD..
I took the moments about A and my answer was really wrong, whereas when I took the sum of the Forces in the Y direction I got the right answer. I want to know why this working out is wrong.. For sum of moments about A.. or why I shouldn't be taking the moments about A?
-2(6)/3*(2*6/9)*(6/2) - 6*(VD) = 0
Here is my FBD for it also
http://tinypic.com/r/2pskdhj/7 (just realized that 3 should be a 9)... The Answer is V = 5 .. i do not get that :(

Attachments

• xxx.png
    xxx.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you cannot take the moments about A like you have and determine the shear force diagram is because at the section you cut the beam (D), there is a bending moment equal to some value (46Nm courtesy of http://learntoengineer.com/beam?f=0,u1|18,u2&d=0,9!-2/9*x|9,18!-4_2/9*x&m= ) because you haven't accounted for this in your calculations, you will get an incorrect answer.

if you take the the moments around point A to be equal to 0 you get:
0 =46 - 6*V + Fd*4

Fd = 4, so (46-16)/6 = V = 5

so you can in fact get the correct answer by taking the moments about A, you just need to take into account all the moments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! I'm such a goose haha

Related to Shear force with a mirrored triangular load

1. What is shear force with a mirrored triangular load?

Shear force with a mirrored triangular load is a type of force that acts on an object in a perpendicular direction, causing it to bend or deform. The load is in the shape of a triangle and is mirrored on both sides of the object.

2. How is shear force calculated?

Shear force is calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a perpendicular direction. This can be done using mathematical equations or by creating a shear force diagram.

3. What factors affect shear force with a mirrored triangular load?

The magnitude and direction of the load, the shape and size of the object, and the material properties of the object all affect the shear force with a mirrored triangular load.

4. Can shear force with a mirrored triangular load cause structural failure?

Yes, shear force with a mirrored triangular load can cause structural failure if the force exceeds the object's strength or if the object is unable to withstand the bending and deformation caused by the force.

5. How can shear force with a mirrored triangular load be minimized?

Shear force with a mirrored triangular load can be minimized by using stronger or thicker materials, distributing the load more evenly, or changing the shape or size of the object to better withstand the force.