Shear Force Due to Bending HW question

In summary, the shear stress in beams can be found by using the shear force diagram and the first and second moments of area.
patpiesek

Homework Statement

My prof gave us this take home quiz to complete to prepare for our actual quiz. We are studying Shear force due to bending of beams (2nd year mech eng). In this question he told us that the shear force (V) can be applied at any of the points and that we would need to find the shear force due to bending (Tau). I am having the hardest time just even starting out, I need some direction on how the problem would change depending on which force point is chosen. Note: only one force will be present, either at A,B,C,D,or E.

this is the cross section given:
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4721/mechimage.th.png

Homework Equations

Tau= VQ / Ib

V = max shear force (which u find from the Shear force diagram)
Q = first moment of area
I = second moment of area
b= thickness of cross section

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a force can be applied at the given points rather than a "shear force"? A shear force is a result of applied external forces. If your professor meant to apply a force at a given point then shear force and bending moment diagrams can be generated. Keep in mind with point loads the shear force and bending moment curves are not smooth at the force point. How is the object supported? Knowing the support points will provide the reaction forces for static equilibrium. Also, an applied load can be replaced by an equivalent force-couple system.

chrisk said:
Do you mean a force can be applied at the given points rather than a "shear force"? A shear force is a result of applied external forces. If your professor meant to apply a force at a given point then shear force and bending moment diagrams can be generated. Keep in mind with point loads the shear force and bending moment curves are not smooth at the force point. How is the object supported? Knowing the support points will provide the reaction forces for static equilibrium. Also, an applied load can be replaced by an equivalent force-couple system.

From what the teacher let us know, he would either apply a force onto the beam and then have us calculate the shear force with an SFD, as you said, which in my opinion would be easy. OR, he would apply a shear force on the cross section in one of the points; A,B,C,D or E and then we would have to work from there. I have been looking at the problem more and My real problem is understanding how to deal with the shear force at basically any point other than A. How would the equation change depending on the points? I am aware of a moment and a shear force being applied if the shear force is at D for example. How would I go about dealing with something like this??

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your homework question with me. I am a scientist and I would be happy to provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

First, it is important to understand the concept of shear force due to bending. When a beam is subjected to a bending moment, it experiences internal forces that are perpendicular to its longitudinal axis. These internal forces are known as shear forces and they are responsible for the deformation and failure of the beam. The shear force varies along the length of the beam and can be represented graphically using a shear force diagram.

In this problem, your professor has asked you to find the shear force due to bending (Tau) at a specific point on the beam. This means that you will need to calculate the internal shear force at that point, which is represented by V in the equation Tau = VQ/Ib. The first step is to determine the location of the point on the beam where the shear force is to be calculated. This will determine the value of Q, which is the first moment of area.

Next, you will need to find the maximum shear force (V) at that point. This can be done by constructing a shear force diagram for the entire beam and identifying the maximum value of V. You can then substitute the values of V and Q into the equation Tau = VQ/Ib to calculate the shear force due to bending at the chosen point.

It is important to note that the problem specifies that only one force will be present at a time, at points A, B, C, D, or E. This means that the value of V will be different for each point, and the location of the point will determine the value of Q. Therefore, depending on which point is chosen, the problem will change in terms of the specific values used in the equation.

I hope this helps you get started on your homework. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Shear Force Due to Bending HW question

What is shear force due to bending?

Shear force due to bending is a type of force that occurs when an external load is applied to a structural element, causing it to bend. This force is parallel to the cross-section of the element and is responsible for the deformation of the material.

How is shear force due to bending calculated?

Shear force due to bending is calculated using the formula V = Q x b, where V is the shear force, Q is the external load, and b is the width of the cross-section. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the moment equation.

What is the relationship between shear force and bending moment?

Shear force and bending moment are closely related, as they both result from the external load applied to a structural element. Shear force is the change in load along the length of the element, while bending moment is the tendency of the element to bend due to the external load.

What factors affect shear force due to bending?

The main factors that affect shear force due to bending are the magnitude and distribution of the external load, the geometry and material properties of the structural element, and the support conditions. Changes in any of these factors can significantly impact the shear force and bending moment in the element.

How is shear force due to bending important in structural design?

Understanding shear force due to bending is essential in structural design, as it helps ensure that the structural elements can withstand the applied loads without failure. By calculating and analyzing the shear force and bending moment, engineers can determine the appropriate cross-section and materials for a safe and stable structure.