Set Theory , building a set notation

In summary, the author attempted to solve a homework problem using set notation, but struggled because of a misunderstanding of the notation. He eventually figured out the correct notation and was able to solve the problem.
reenmachine
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Build a set notation for $$\bigcup_{i \in N}R × [i , i + 1]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

##\{(x,y) \in R : x \in R \ \ \exists z \in N \ \ z ≤ y ≤ (z+1)\}##

Last time I tried one of these kind of sets I struggled quite a bit , so I'm interested in knowing how much I can handle those from now on.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take note that I read the notation as $$\bigcup_{i \in N}(R × [i , i +1])$$

This isn't quite right. Can you visualize the elements in the union? Can you describe them with words? When you put [itex] (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], you are describing intervals on the real line, is that what you're going for? It looks to me like you should be describing something in 2 dimensions, not 1 dimension.

I knew something looked fishy , seems I didn't learn from my mistakes.

Seems to me that the union of all elements of this set will give us the set R.

(Since [i , i+1] with ##i \in N## will always be in R.)

reenmachine said:
I knew something looked fishy , seems I didn't learn from my mistakes.

Seems to me that the union of all elements of this set will give us the set R.

(Since [i , i+1] with ##i \in N## will always be in R.)

Good point, I hadn't thought of it as the union, I was looking at individual elements. But remember, RxR is not the same as R. Is the difference clear?

ArcanaNoir said:
Good point, I hadn't thought of it as the union, I was looking at individual elements. But remember, RxR is not the same as R. Is the difference clear?

Not sure.

My understanding of it is that ##R## will have elements in the form of ##r## while ##R × R## will have elements in the form of ##(r,r)##.But my point was that if you unionize ##R## or ##R × R## , you will end up with the same elements if you ""deconstruct"" the ordered pairs that are made of ##r## in ##(r,r)##.

The confusion is probably why should we called them componants? Can a number be a componant as well as an element of a set (the ordered pair as a set)?

I will attempt to express what I mean in a clearer way.

Let's take the set ##R × [i , i+1]## with ##i \in N##.We accept that all numbers between ##i## and ##i+1## including both will be elements of ##R## as well.##R## in ##R × [i , i+1]## means that the first member of the ordered pairs will be any real number.So the ordered pair would look like ##(x,y)## with ##x## being any real number and ##y## being any positive real number except maybe all the numbers between ##0## and ##1## if you think ##i ≠ 0## because ##0 ∉ N##.Then if you unionize the set ##R × [i , i+1]## , you will something like ##\{...(x,y) \cup (x,y) \cup (x,y)...\}##.Since you unionize the ordered pairs , it will give you the set of all elements of those unionized sets(ordered pairs in that case) , therefore will give you all elements of ##R## from all possible ##x## in##(x,y)##.

Another attempt :

##\{\{x\},\{x,y\} |\ x,y \in R \ \ y ≥ 1 \}##

EDIT: I finally checked the book's solution , which is ##\{(x,y) : x,y \in R \ \ y ≥ 1\}##

I find it weird that the dummy variables would be put between "()" like it's an ordered pair to present the set such as "the set of all (x,y) such that...".Anybody can enlighten me on using my method versus the one in the book concerning the left side of the notation

Last edited:
They're essentially equivalent, at least insofar as Kuratowski definition of ordered pairs is concerned. In this definition, the cartesian product of two sets [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex], denoted by [itex]X\times Y[/itex] is defined by the set of all ordered pairs [itex](x,y)=\{\{x\},\{x,y\}\}[/itex], where the object on the left is just a convenient shorthand for the set on the right. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_product for more information.

Related to Set Theory , building a set notation

1. What is "Set Theory"?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies collections of objects, known as sets. It is a fundamental theory in mathematics and has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and statistics.

2. What is the purpose of building a set notation?

The purpose of building a set notation is to provide a formal way of representing and describing sets. It allows us to define sets and their elements, as well as perform operations on sets, such as union, intersection, and complement.

3. How is a set notation built?

A set notation is built using symbols and mathematical notation. The most common symbols used in set notation are braces { }, which enclose the elements of a set, and the membership symbol ∈, which indicates that an element belongs to a set.

4. What is an example of a set notation?

An example of a set notation is {1, 2, 3, 4}, which represents the set of all natural numbers less than or equal to 4. Another example is {x | x is an even number}, which represents the set of all even numbers.

5. Why is set notation important in mathematics?

Set notation is important in mathematics because it allows us to define and manipulate sets, which are essential objects in many mathematical theories. It also provides a way to communicate mathematical ideas and concepts in a concise and precise manner.