Sequence Convergence & Fixed Point Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a sequence defined by a function and its fixed point theorem. The values of p0 in the interval [1,2] for which the sequence converges are determined to be any point between 1 and 2. The rate of convergence is then discussed, and it is suggested to use the Taylor expansion of the function to find it.
f00lishroy

Homework Statement

Let g(x)= (2/3)*(x+1/(x^2)) and consider the sequence defined by pn= g(pn-1) where n≥1

a) Determine the values of p0 [itex]\in[/itex] [1,2] for which the sequence {pn} from 0 to infinity converges.

b) For the cases where {pn} converges (if any), what is the rate of convergence?

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_theorem

Fixed Point Theorem

attachment.php?attachmentid=58589&stc=1&d=1368037754.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, my answer is that ANY point p0 between 1 and 2 will converge, because the sequence satisfies the fixed point theorem.

g(x) exists on [1,2] and is continuous
g'(x) = (2/3)(1-2/(x^3)) exists and is continuous on [1,2]

There is a positive constant k<1 for which |g'(x)|≤k

By plotting g'(x), i found k = 2/3

Therefore, the fixed point theorem is satisfied, and so should the answer be "any value of p0 from 1 to 2 will cause the sequence to converge"?

For part b, I am not sure how to find the rate of convergence. I heard that you have to take the taylor series expansion, but I am not sure. Any help? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.29.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 11.29.43 AM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that shows it converges throughout the interval.
For the rate, let p be the fixed point and x be small. If the rate of convergence is a then g(p+x) is approximately p + ax, i.e. the error gets multiplied by factor a at each step. Take the Taylor expansion of g at p, just the first two terms, and see what that simplifies to.

Related to Sequence Convergence & Fixed Point Theorem

What is sequence convergence?

Sequence convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers as its terms approach a specific value, known as the limit. A sequence is considered to be convergent if its terms become closer and closer to the limit as the sequence progresses.

What is the Fixed Point Theorem?

The Fixed Point Theorem states that any continuous function on a closed interval will have a fixed point, which is a point that does not change when the function is applied to it. In other words, there will always be a point where the function intersects with the line y=x.

How is sequence convergence related to the Fixed Point Theorem?

The Fixed Point Theorem can be used to prove the convergence of certain sequences. If a sequence is shown to be convergent, then it must have a fixed point, which can be found by solving the equation f(x)=x, where f(x) is the function used to generate the sequence.

What is the importance of the Fixed Point Theorem in mathematics?

The Fixed Point Theorem has many applications in various branches of mathematics, including differential equations, optimization problems, and chaos theory. It is also a fundamental tool for proving the existence and uniqueness of solutions to many mathematical problems.

Are there any limitations to the Fixed Point Theorem?

While the Fixed Point Theorem is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It only applies to continuous functions on a closed interval and does not guarantee the existence of a solution. Additionally, it may be difficult to find a fixed point for more complex functions, making it challenging to apply in certain situations.