Separation distance between wires - Magnetic fields

In summary, the problem involves two parallel wires carrying different currents and the goal is to find the separation distance between them using the formula for force per unit length. The given force per unit length value eliminates the need to know the length of the wires.
SimonSays

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/mgIkS.png
Two long parallel wires carry currents of 2.03 A and 8.83 A. The magnitude of the force per unit length acting on each wire is 4.49*10^5 N/m. Find the separation distance of the wires expressed in millimeters.

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I would need to use the formula:
http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?F_{21}=(\mu_0*I_1*I_2*L )/(2\pi d)
I don't have L however, so how do I solve for d?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually you have the right formula, just understand the parameters involved and relate to the given problem.

Hint: "The magnitude of the force per unit length acting on each wire is 4.49*10^5 N/m."

So are you suggesting that L=1?
Edit: I tried it with L=1 and it worked. Thanks!

Last edited:
We'll you can say that, but I can also say L=2 and my F = 2.245x105 N/m.

What I want you to understand is that you don't need to know L as you are readily given with F/L.

I can provide a response to this question by explaining the relevant concepts and equations involved in solving for the separation distance between the wires.

Firstly, the force per unit length acting on a wire due to a magnetic field is given by the equation:

http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?F=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}I_1I_2\frac{L}{d}

Where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the separation distance between the wires.

In this problem, the force per unit length is given as 4.49*10^5 N/m and the currents in the wires are 2.03 A and 8.83 A. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the separation distance d:

d = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * F)

We do not have the length of the wires, but we can assume that they are long enough for the magnetic field to be considered uniform along their length. In this case, the length of the wires will not affect the separation distance and we can set it to any value.

Therefore, we can use the given values to calculate the separation distance d in meters:

d = (4π * 10^-7 * 2.03 * 8.83 * 1) / (2π * 4.49*10^5) = 1.62*10^-6 m

To express this in millimeters, we can multiply by 1000 to get the final answer of 1.62*10^-3 mm.

In conclusion, the separation distance between the wires is 1.62*10^-3 mm. This shows that even with relatively small currents, the force per unit length can be quite large, highlighting the strong relationship between separation distance and magnetic fields.

Related to Separation distance between wires - Magnetic fields

1. What is the relationship between the separation distance between wires and the strength of magnetic fields?

The separation distance between wires has a direct impact on the strength of magnetic fields. As the distance between wires increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires.

2. How does the orientation of wires affect the separation distance and magnetic fields?

The orientation of wires does not affect the separation distance between them, but it does impact the strength of magnetic fields. When wires are parallel to each other, the separation distance remains constant, but the magnetic fields add together, resulting in a stronger overall field. When wires are perpendicular to each other, the separation distance increases, resulting in a weaker overall field.

3. Can the separation distance between wires affect the direction of magnetic fields?

Yes, the separation distance between wires can affect the direction of magnetic fields. When wires are parallel, the magnetic fields add together, resulting in a stronger field that is parallel to the wires. When wires are perpendicular, the magnetic fields cancel out, resulting in no direction.

4. How does the material of the wires impact the separation distance and magnetic fields?

The material of the wires does not have a direct impact on the separation distance between them, but it can affect the strength of magnetic fields. Wires made of materials with high electrical conductivity, such as copper, will have a stronger magnetic field compared to wires made of less conductive materials, such as aluminum.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the separation distance between wires and magnetic fields?

Yes, there are safety concerns related to the separation distance between wires and magnetic fields. If the separation distance is too small, the magnetic fields can become too strong and potentially cause harm to living beings or disrupt electronic devices. It is important to adhere to recommended separation distances to ensure safety.