Semigeodesic parameterization I am a little confused

• Thread starter ^_^physicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
Essentially, the text is using a theorem from differential geometry called the Clairaut's Theorem which explains the variation of the normal vector of a surface along a geodesic.
^_^physicist
Today I was working through a handout my professor gave me on geodesics and stumbled upon the section on semigeodesic parameterization...and then I got lost.

I was able to follow the material through the point where the text points out that the first fundamental form will consist of:

I= E(du)^2 + G*(dv)^2, since the parametrization is orthogonal. The text then moves into an example of how if v were constant the differential equation for the geodesic

u''v'-u'v''+Av'-Bu' = 0 (where A and B's values can be derived from here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeodesicCurvature.html )

becomes

-1/2*[tex]E_v[/tex]/G = 0.

Which makes sense, but then it gives an alternative statement later on that the above equation of the geodesic could also be expressed as

da/dv = - partial((G)^(1/2))/partial(u). Where a is defined as the angle the geodesics intersect the curves v=constant.

Whats worse is this alternative to the above was offered in the "theorems" section of the chapter and doesn't have a proof with it.

So two questions:

1) Wouldn't the angle be pi/2, since in a semigeodesic parameterization any geodesic would be orthogonal to the to the coordinate curves (in this case v=constant)?

2) Where are they getting the alternative expression...is is from Gauss-Bonnet? Or am I just reading the theorem incorrectly. In any case, where the heck is the text coming up with said "theorem." I don't want a proof, I just want a reasonable feel for where the heck they are getting it from. Because from their definations I just don't see the correlation.

Physics news on Phys.org
^_^physicist said:
Today I was working through a handout my professor gave me on geodesics and stumbled upon the section on semigeodesic parameterization...and then I got lost.

I was able to follow the material through the point where the text points out that the first fundamental form will consist of:

I= E(du)^2 + G*(dv)^2, since the parametrization is orthogonal. The text then moves into an example of how if v were constant the differential equation for the geodesic

u''v'-u'v''+Av'-Bu' = 0 (where A and B's values can be derived from here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeodesicCurvature.html )

becomes

-1/2*[tex]E_v[/tex]/G = 0.

Which makes sense, but then it gives an alternative statement later on that the above equation of the geodesic could also be expressed as

da/dv = - partial((G)^(1/2))/partial(u). Where a is defined as the angle the geodesics intersect the curves v=constant.

Whats worse is this alternative to the above was offered in the "theorems" section of the chapter and doesn't have a proof with it.

So two questions:

1) Wouldn't the angle be pi/2, since in a semigeodesic parameterization any geodesic would be orthogonal to the to the coordinate curves (in this case v=constant)?

2) Where are they getting the alternative expression...is is from Gauss-Bonnet? Or am I just reading the theorem incorrectly. In any case, where the heck is the text coming up with said "theorem." I don't want a proof, I just want a reasonable feel for where the heck they are getting it from. Because from their definations I just don't see the correlation.

1) Not in the case of a random manifold.

2) Not really. It is derived by a change of variables in the pde [tex]E_v/2G=0[/tex].

Related to Semigeodesic parameterization I am a little confused

1. What is semigeodesic parameterization?

Semigeodesic parameterization is a method used in cartography and computer graphics to create a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional surface. It is a type of mapping that preserves some geometric properties of the original surface, such as angles and distances.

2. How does semigeodesic parameterization differ from other mapping techniques?

Semigeodesic parameterization is unique in that it attempts to preserve certain geometric properties of the original surface, while also creating a more uniform and continuous mapping. Other techniques, such as conformal mapping, may preserve angles but they do not necessarily create a smooth representation of the surface.

3. When is semigeodesic parameterization used?

Semigeodesic parameterization is commonly used in computer graphics to create a flattened representation of a 3D object for texture mapping. It is also used in cartography to create maps of the Earth's surface.

4. What are the limitations of semigeodesic parameterization?

One limitation of semigeodesic parameterization is that it can introduce distortions in the mapping, particularly in areas with high curvature or complex geometry. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of surfaces and may require additional techniques to accurately map certain shapes.

5. Are there different types of semigeodesic parameterization methods?

Yes, there are various methods for semigeodesic parameterization, each with its own advantages and limitations. Some common methods include the harmonic parameterization, angle-based parameterization, and least squares conformal maps. The choice of method depends on the specific application and desired outcomes.