Selling Kids/Admin on HS Physics

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the author is going to teach chemistry and physics at a small rural high school this fall. He would like to increase enrollment in physics, which, according to the administration, has been barely making it as an offered course. He is prepared to call individual students (and their parents) and try to convince them to take his class. He likes the idea of "Physics Night"- and it may be easier if he makes it "Science Night". He has also not been doing Science Olympiad in the past, so he could perhaps use that as a way to promote physics.
mishima
I'm going to begin teaching chemistry and physics at a small rural high school this fall. I would like to increase enrollment in physics which, according to the administration, has been barely making it as an offered course. What can I do to turn this into a leading physics program?

Science news on Phys.org
There's no 'magic formula'- hopefully you will see a steady increase over time. First question- do you know (as opposed to presume) why enrollment is low? Second question- what are you prepared to do? For example, are you willing to call individual students (and their parents) and try to convince them to take your class?

I only presume why its not being taken. Its a small school. The high school has an enrollment of 350, with 47 graduating last year. Student/teacher ratio is 12. Its a farming community and perhaps that's why people are interested in biology. They have not had a physics teacher there before. I was just hired so haven't got much details there.

I'm certainly willing to call individual parents if that's considered effective. The school is also the center of the community so I was thinking of doing a "physics night" demonstrations type of thing some night open to the public. I could perhaps get some demo equipment from my university.

Another thing I could aim for is implementing the "physics first" program. Surrounding districts have adopted it and I had experience with it during my student teaching. I suppose I really don't know the logistics/burden it causes (on the admin) to do it.

They have also not been doing Science Olympiad in the past, so I could perhaps use that as a way to promote physics.

I was just wondering if people have ever been in the same boat and did something that happened to be extremely effective.

I haven't done anything that specifically relates to your situation, but improving the visibility and quality of physics instruction is something that I and many others here do, so maybe there's sufficient overlap.

I *really* like your idea of 'Physics Night'- and it may be easier if you make it 'Science Night' so that the other science teachers will help out, and open it up for as many grade levels as possible.

One suggestion- instead of trying to 'lure folks away from biology and over to physics', a better strategy may be to 'go to them'- show students who are interested in biology how many biological processes can be understood in terms of the relevant physics: blood pressure and the cardiovascular system in terms of fluid flow and partial pressures, for example. Another example- photosynthesis is an incredibly complex process that involves (AFAIK) quantum mechanics to understand.

In any case, please share any tips and successes with us- good luck!

First and foremost, congratulations on your new teaching position! I understand the importance of promoting and increasing interest in science, especially at the high school level. Here are some suggestions that may help you turn the physics program into a leading one:

1. Highlight the relevance of physics in everyday life: Many students may not see the practical applications of physics in their daily lives. As a teacher, you can showcase the importance and relevance of physics in fields such as engineering, medicine, technology, and even sports. This can help students see the value and potential career opportunities in studying physics.

2. Make it interactive and hands-on: Physics can be a challenging subject for students, but it can also be fun and engaging if taught in a hands-on manner. Incorporate experiments, demonstrations, and interactive activities in your lessons to make the concepts more tangible and easier to understand.

3. Collaborate with other departments: Physics is often intertwined with other subjects such as math, chemistry, and biology. Collaborating with teachers from these departments can help create a more comprehensive and interdisciplinary approach to teaching physics, making it more appealing to students.

4. Offer real-world projects: Students are more likely to be engaged and motivated if they see the practical applications of what they are learning. Consider offering real-world projects such as designing and building a simple machine or conducting a scientific investigation in the community. This will not only make the subject more interesting but also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Utilize technology: Technology can be a powerful tool in teaching physics. Consider incorporating simulations, virtual labs, and other digital resources to enhance students' understanding of complex concepts.

6. Showcase student achievements: Celebrate and showcase the achievements of your students in physics, whether it be through competitions, science fairs, or other academic accomplishments. This will not only boost their confidence but also generate interest among other students.

7. Communicate with parents: Often, parents play a crucial role in influencing their child's academic choices. Make sure to communicate with parents about the importance and benefits of studying physics and how they can support their child's learning.

By implementing these strategies, I believe you can successfully turn the physics program into a leading one and increase enrollment in the subject. Good luck in your new teaching role!

Related to Selling Kids/Admin on HS Physics

1. What is "Selling Kids/Admin on HS Physics"?

"Selling Kids/Admin on HS Physics" refers to the process of convincing students and school administrators of the value and importance of high school physics education. It involves promoting the benefits of studying physics and addressing any concerns or misconceptions about the subject.

2. Why is it important to "sell" high school physics to students and administrators?

High school physics is a crucial subject that provides students with a strong foundation in scientific thinking and problem-solving skills. It also prepares them for college-level courses and a variety of careers in STEM fields. By convincing students and administrators of its significance, we can ensure that more students have access to quality physics education.

3. How can we "sell" high school physics to students?

To sell high school physics to students, we can highlight its real-world applications and relevance to their lives. We can also showcase the exciting and engaging aspects of the subject, such as hands-on experiments and interactive learning. Additionally, we can provide resources and support for students who may struggle with the subject.

4. What are some common misconceptions about high school physics?

Some common misconceptions about high school physics include the belief that it is only for students who excel in math, that it is too difficult, or that it is not relevant to everyday life. However, physics is a subject that can be understood and enjoyed by students of all levels and backgrounds, and it has countless applications in our daily lives.

5. How can we convince school administrators of the value of high school physics?

To convince school administrators of the value of high school physics, we can provide data and research showing the positive impact of physics education on students' academic and career success. We can also communicate the benefits of offering a well-rounded education that includes STEM subjects like physics. Additionally, we can showcase successful physics programs at other schools and offer support in implementing similar programs at their own institutions.