Self Inductance of a Solenoid Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the inductance of a coil with specific parameters using the equation L=\frac{\mu_0 \mu_r n^2 A}{l}. After attempting to solve it with the given values, the provided answer of 10mH is not obtained.
liamporter1702

Homework Statement

Hi again guys, been stuck on this problem for a while now, thought it would be a simple bumping in some values in a given equation question but I can't get the correct answer :confused: Heres the problem:

What is the inductance of a 600 turn coil wound on a core of cross sectional area 450mm2 , length of 500mm and a relative permeability of 25?

Homework Equations

I assumed the equation I would use would be L=μ0μrn2Al
Where n = number of turns
A = cross sectional area
l = length
μ0 I took as 12.6x10^-7
and μr = 25

The Attempt at a Solution

When I put all these values into the equation I get 2.55, where as the given answer is 10mH. I'm stumped :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct equation is: [tex] L=\frac{\mu_0 \mu_r n^2 A}{l} [/tex]

Related to Self Inductance of a Solenoid Problem

1. What is self inductance and how does it relate to a solenoid?

Self inductance is a property of a circuit element, such as a solenoid, which describes its ability to resist changes in current flow. In a solenoid, self inductance is caused by the magnetic field produced by the current flowing through its coils.

2. How is the self inductance of a solenoid calculated?

The self inductance of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula L = μ₀n²A, where L is the self inductance, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the self inductance of a solenoid?

The self inductance of a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and the material it is made of. It also depends on the presence of any nearby magnetic materials that can affect the magnetic field.

4. Why is self inductance important in solenoids?

Self inductance is important in solenoids because it affects the behavior of the current flowing through them. When the current changes, the self inductance causes a counter electromotive force (EMF) that opposes the change in current. This can lead to voltage spikes and other unwanted effects in the circuit.

5. How can the self inductance of a solenoid be controlled?

The self inductance of a solenoid can be controlled by changing the physical characteristics of the solenoid, such as the number of turns and the material used. It can also be controlled by adding external components, such as capacitors, to the circuit to help manage the effects of self inductance.