Seeking Text Recommendations for Intro Course to Programming in C

In summary, a good introductory text for programming in C is Engineering Problem Solving with C by Delores M Etter.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I'm new to programming languages in general and I discovered that engineering students at my university, of which I am one, have to take a first-year introductory course to programming in C. Apart from the fact that I'm clueless as to where to start, I'm looking for a good text which I can learn from. Can anyone here recommend some good introductory texts I can learn from. I'm currently looking through some of the websites listed in the stickies here but I don't see any recommended texts.

Can someone comment on whether Engineering Problem Solving with C by Delores M Etter is a good starting text?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Why don't you wait until the course starts to make a decision about whether or not you need an additional text. If you're in a hurry, try the Schaum's Outline, it is inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PPZ
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll go check them out. Reason why I wanted to get a recommendation is because I learn rather slowly and would therefore need some kind of head-start to study at the same pace as the rest.

Its generally a good idea to get a head start. In this way you won't be surprised by the lectures. You can also take sometime to write some questions that are perplexing and discuss them with your professor.

I haven't read Engineering Problem Solving with C, but from the book summary it sounds quite interesting, but not at an introductory level. You should probably pick it up after you're done with your introductory course. Have you read book reviews? You may even want to preview a copy of the book at your school's library.

Related to Seeking Text Recommendations for Intro Course to Programming in C

1. What is the best textbook for an introductory course to programming in C?

The best textbook for an introductory course to programming in C would depend on the specific needs and level of the students. However, some popular options include "C Programming: A Modern Approach" by K. N. King and "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie.

2. Are there any online resources that can supplement a textbook for learning C programming?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a textbook for learning C programming. Some popular options include tutorials on websites like Codecademy and W3Schools, instructional videos on YouTube, and online courses on platforms like Udemy and Coursera.

3. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience before taking an introductory course in C?

No, prior programming experience is not necessary for an introductory course in C. However, having some familiarity with basic programming concepts and logic may make the learning process easier.

4. Can you recommend any practice exercises or projects for students to reinforce their learning of C programming?

Yes, there are many practice exercises and projects that can help students reinforce their learning of C programming. Some suggestions include creating a simple calculator, implementing a basic game, or working on coding challenges on websites like HackerRank or LeetCode.

5. Are there any resources specifically designed for educators teaching an introductory course to programming in C?

Yes, there are resources specifically designed for educators teaching an introductory course to programming in C. Some options include lecture slides, test banks, and classroom activities available in accompanying instructor materials for textbooks, as well as lesson plans and teaching guides provided by educational organizations like the Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA).