Seeking advice on how to study condensed matter theory

physicsxanime
TL;DR Summary: I am asking for how to study CMT

Any advice in connecting concepts and building intuition for condensed matter? Sometimes I can do some problems operationally, but I can't see connection between different problems and doesn't have a mental model or intuition?
I can think of read more books and do problem. What else would you advice? Especially for research frontier when there are no problem set
Any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
For context:
I will work on more or less green's function calculations of strongly coupled electrons/phonons systems in the future

What is your educational background in physics and math?

I have a standard undergrad background + some grad experience. (I switched from cosmology when I get my master to CMT).
Basically, I am fine with quantum mechanics, I took QFT before but quite rusty.
As for math, I am fine with complex analysis, differential equations, no good on group theory, topology and differential geometry.

physicsxanime said:
TL;DR Summary: I am asking for how to study CMT

Any advice in connecting concepts and building intuition for condensed matter? Sometimes I can do some problems operationally, but I can't see connection between different problems and doesn't have a mental model or intuition?
I can think of read more books and do problem. What else would you advice? Especially for research frontier when there are no problem set
Any help will be appreciated
It is indeed patchy. Any book that you will take (Mahan, Fetter&Walecka, Aschroft&Mermin) will have different systems to study in each chapter because condensed matter is huge and there are many technicalities.