Sec(a-B) = (cota cotB+1)/(1+tanatanB)

• Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an expression involving secant and tangent functions. The original expression given is not an identity, but the correct expression is (sec a sec B)/(1 + tan a tan B). The correct method to verify this identity is to start with the right-hand side and multiply by cos A cos B.
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

sec(a-b) = (cot a cot B+1)/(1+tan a tan B)

so I got 1/cos a (1/cos B) -sin a (sin b) but they got cot a cot B + 1 / 1+tan a tan B

What formula should I use since there's no sec formula?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're trying to verify that the expression is an identity, don't bother. It's not. For a=pi/3 and b=pi/6, for instance, you get sec(a-b)=2/sqrt(3) while the RHS is equal to 1.

vela said:
If you're trying to verify that the expression is an identity, don't bother. It's not. For a=pi/3 and b=pi/6, for instance, you get sec(a-b)=2/sqrt(3) while the RHS is equal to 1.

I don't understand? Then how did they get that? Thanks

They made a mistake somewhere. The problem itself is wrong.

whoops lol. I made a mistake! sorry! the answer is ( sec a sec B ) / 1 + tan a tan B

Now that is an identity, or at least it will be after you get your parentheses correct.

Hmm.. So Sec (a - B) would expand to 1/cos (a - B) ? or would I have to use tan (a - B)? Thank you.

I would start with the right-hand side instead, and multiply numerator and denominator by cos A cos B:
[tex]\frac{\sec A \sec B}{1 + \tan A \tan B} \cdot \frac{\cos A \cos B}{\cos A \cos B} = ...[/tex]
Can you take it from there?

eumyang said:
I would start with the right-hand side instead, and multiply numerator and denominator by cos A cos B:
[tex]\frac{\sec A \sec B}{1 + \tan A \tan B} \cdot \frac{\cos A \cos B}{\cos A \cos B} = ...[/tex]
Can you take it from there?

Hmm, never thought about that, thanks.

Related to Sec(a-B) = (cota cotB+1)/(1+tanatanB)

1. What does the equation "Sec(a-B) = (cota cotB+1)/(1+tanatanB)" represent?

The equation is a trigonometric identity that relates the secant of the difference of two angles, a and B, to the cotangent and tangent functions of those angles.

2. How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation can be used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, to solve problems involving angles and trigonometric functions.

3. Is this equation derived from other trigonometric identities?

Yes, this equation can be derived from the Pythagorean identities and the sum and difference identities for sine and cosine.

4. Can this equation be simplified or rewritten in a different form?

Yes, this equation can be rewritten as "Sec(a-B) = (cosB+sinB)/(cosB-sinB)", which is a form that is often easier to work with in calculations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation can be used in navigation, surveying, and geology to calculate distances and angles between objects or locations.