Searching for fully sintered boron nitride ceramic

• Thread starter gwj0606
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently no fully sintered material available for boron nitride due to its high sintering temperature. While there are some semi-sintered options, such as light yellow boron nitride ceramic, they are not fully sintered and may not meet your needs. A recent study found that even at 2000°C, it is impossible to sinter hBN powder to a dense bulk. There are some companies, such as [Link redacted by the Mentors], that can produce larger semi-sintered parts, but they may not meet your requirements. For more technical information, you can search for "sintered boron nitride shapes" or "strength of sintered boron
gwj0606
TL;DR Summary
Anyone can supply slightly yellow, fully sintered boron nitride ceramic?
I understand that boron nitride has quite high sintering temperature so it is not easy and could be quite expensive to get fully sintered material. But there are something available, right? I think I saw a small smaple of lilght yellow boron nitride ceramic years ago, but I don't remember the manufacturers name. It was quite smooth and semi-transparent, like alumina(I'm quite sure it's not PBN, because it's a block of about 1" cube). I believe it should be a fully sintered one. However, the BN I recently obtained are quite white, not transparent, and can be scraped off into powder. I guess it should be semi-sintered material, not fully sintered.

My job is now working on a quite big crucible like parts, that requires about 200mm Dia. x 400mm L in size. We puchased some [Link redacted by the Mentors], as they are the only one we found that could make such big parts. The parts are acceptable but, like what I said, they are more like a semi-sintered material. I was wondering is there anyone knows who can supply the fully sintered material? And, the maximum size available?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman