Scientific notebook/maple help

• Thread starter ninadg2@yahoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve for x and y in the equation (x-13)^2+(y-31)^2+16=441 and using the solve + exact function in Maple to find numerical values for x and y, but only getting decimals and a complicated solution. It is suggested to change the equation to (x-13)^2+(y-31)^2=425, which represents a circle with center at (13,31) and radius 5*sqrt(17). It is also mentioned that the equation can be parameterized to obtain multiple x and y values.
ninadg2@yahoo
Hi, I'm meant to use the scientific notebook to answer equations but I'm stuck on one of the equations. I want to solve for x and y in: (x-13)^2+(y-31)^2+16=441. I used the solve + exact function in Maple because I need to find two variables, but the x and y values in the answers were decimals. When I solve for the x, it comes up with a complicated solution in terms of y, and when I try to sub that back into the equation, it won't solve. How am I meant to get numerical values for x and y?

Physics news on Phys.org
ninadg2@yahoo said:
Hi, I'm meant to use the scientific notebook to answer equations but I'm stuck on one of the equations. I want to solve for x and y in: (x-13)^2+(y-31)^2+16=441. I used the solve + exact function in Maple because I need to find two variables, but the x and y values in the answers were decimals. When I solve for the x, it comes up with a complicated solution in terms of y, and when I try to sub that back into the equation, it won't solve. How am I meant to get numerical values for x and y?

U mean u want to get value x=? and y=?
But its not possible ... u realize that u can change to equation to (x-13)²+(y-31)²=425
and that equation is non other than circle with centre at (13,31) ...
U need to input x to get y value or vice versa ...
(x,y) = (√(425)cosθ+13,√(425)sinθ+31)

θ=tan⁻¹(((y-31)/(x-13)))

Last edited:
Adding to what Icystrike said, since your circle has radius 5*sqrt(17) you could parameterize it:

x = 13 + 5*sqrt(17) cos(θ)
y = 31 + 5*sqrt(17) sin(θ).

Then let θ range from 0 to 2pi using as small steps as you like to print out lots of (x,y) pairs.

Related to Scientific notebook/maple help

1) What is a scientific notebook and why is it important?

A scientific notebook is a record keeping tool used by scientists to document their research, observations, and data. It is important because it allows for accurate record keeping, organization, and replication of experiments.

2) How can Maple software assist with scientific computations?

Maple is a mathematical software that can assist with scientific computations such as solving equations, graphing data, and performing statistical analyses. It also has a user-friendly interface and allows for customization of mathematical models.

3) Can Maple software be used for any type of scientific research?

Yes, Maple software can be used for various types of scientific research including biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is a versatile tool for data analysis, simulation, and modeling.

4) Is it necessary to have programming knowledge to use Maple for scientific research?

No, it is not necessary to have programming knowledge to use Maple for scientific research. The software has a point-and-click interface for basic functions, but programming skills can be useful for more complex tasks.

5) Are there any resources available for learning how to use Maple for scientific research?

Yes, there are various resources available for learning how to use Maple for scientific research. These include tutorials, online forums, and documentation provided by the Maple software company. There are also books and online courses available for purchase.