Science - Genetic Code Sees Double

In summary, this newly discovered mutation in the genetic code may lead to a new understanding of how proteins are created. The genetic code is composed of three letters, A,T,C, but one of these letters can have two meanings. One of these meanings is for an amino acid called selenocysteine, which has been found to be present in mammalian cells. Selenocysteine is thought to play a role in cellular function, but the significance of this newly discovered mutation is still unknown.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Interesting, never trust a dogma.

Genetic Code Supports Targeted Insertion of Two Amino Acids by One Codon

"Call it the genetic version of a double-entendre. Scientific dogma dictates that various three-letter combinations of our genetic sequence each "mean" exactly one thing--each codes for a particular amino acid, the building block of proteins. But a protozoan named Euplotes crassus appears to be more versatile: One of its three-letter combinations has two meanings, coding for two different amino acids. Although the find may seem trivial, it poses a major challenge to more than 4 decades of scientific thinking.
[..]
It's sort of like a warning shot not to get too comfortable with what we think is going on."
http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2009/108/3?etoc

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Monique,
Sounds like a paradigm change of some sort, but unfortunately I can't quite grasp this. I understand that a portion of genetic code is being translated into proteins in two different ways, but not sure. I guess this set of DNA is translated into an mRNA, and from there it goes to the Ribosome but somehow those instructions are translated in 2 different ways?

And what's this about the 3' untranslated region? What does 3' mean?

Sorry, but this isn't my forte, though I'd be interested in understanding it better. Can you translate this into dummy speak? :-p

(PS: I have access to the journal and looked at the original article but I can't make heads or tails)

Oh yeah- selenocysteine! UGA is also a stop codon, not a codon for cysteine. Strange it would make Science- I thought the amino acid was discovered about 20 years ago.

I think selenocysteine is present in mammalian cells as well, we've spent some time disucssing if we need to add selenium as an essential mineral to our cell cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenocysteine

Related to Science - Genetic Code Sees Double

1. What is the genetic code?

The genetic code is the set of rules that dictate how information contained within DNA is translated into proteins, which are essential for the structure and function of all living organisms.

2. How is the genetic code "double"?

The genetic code is considered "double" because it is composed of two sets of instructions: the DNA code and the RNA code. The DNA code is the genetic information contained within the DNA molecule, while the RNA code is a temporary copy of the DNA code that is used to produce proteins.

3. How does the genetic code determine traits?

The genetic code contains instructions for the production of proteins, which are responsible for determining an organism's physical traits. Each protein is made up of a specific sequence of amino acids, which is determined by the sequence of nucleotides in the DNA code.

4. Can the genetic code be changed?

Yes, the genetic code can be changed through mutations, which are alterations in the DNA sequence. These mutations can occur spontaneously or can be induced by external factors, such as radiation or chemicals. Changes in the genetic code can result in different traits or even genetic disorders.

5. How is the genetic code used in genetic engineering?

In genetic engineering, scientists can manipulate the genetic code by inserting or removing specific genes in an organism's DNA. This allows them to create genetically modified organisms with desired traits or to study the function of certain genes. The genetic code is essential for understanding and manipulating the genetic makeup of living organisms.