Schrodinger equation and stationary states

In summary, the solution of the time-independent Schrödinger equation is always a stationary state. It is possible for eigenstates of a Hamiltonian to be non-stationary with respect to time evolution if the potential is time-dependent. The time-independent Schrödinger equation is not consistently named as it involves a partial derivative with respect to time, and it is only applicable to systems with time-independent potentials. The solution of the time-independent Schrödinger equation is a stationary state, with a probability density that is independent of time. The time-independent equation for the function of position is where all the action is, as it depends on the potential and leads to an equation for eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. The shorthand notation
amjad-sh
Is the solution of the time-independent schrodinger equation always a stationary state?
Can it be non-stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eigenstates of an Hamiltonian are always stationary with respect to time evolution with that same Hamiltonian. It should take you three lines (at most) to prove it.

Likes amjad-sh
With regards to the 1st question (whose answer automatically implies the 2nd), I don't approve of the phrase "time-independent schrodinger equation" (not because Schrödinger is misspelled), and I invite you to read the very definition of a (pure quantum) stationary state.

Likes amjad-sh and bhobba
dextercioby said:
With regards to the 1st question (whose answer automatically implies the 2nd), I don't approve of the phrase "time-independent schrodinger equation" (not because Schrödinger is misspelled), and I invite you to read the very definition of a (pure quantum) stationary state.

Instead of Schrödinger's cat, you could have Schrödinger's Umlaut. You don't know whether it's there or not until you look!

Likes dextercioby and DrClaude
DrClaude said:
Eigenstates of an Hamiltonian are always stationary with respect to time evolution with that same Hamiltonian. It should take you three lines (at most) to prove it.

dextercioby said:

Can we name this equation in general [itex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi \rangle=\hat H|\psi \rangle[/itex] a "time-independent Schroedinger equation"?
Noting that I choose here the potential V(r) independent of time.
I think in general we can't.

amjad-sh said:
Can we name this equation in general [itex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi \rangle=\hat H|\psi \rangle[/itex] a "time-independent Schroedinger equation"?
Noting that I choose here the potential V(r) independent of time.
I think in general we can't.

The partial derivative with respect to time is not consistent with "time independence"!

PeroK said:
The partial derivative with respect to time is not consistent with "time independence"!

If you choose [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] here to be the eigenstate of [itex]\hat H[/itex] then the solution of the equation will be a stationary state, and the probability density of a stationary state is independent of time.If you choose [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] to be the eigenstate of [itex]\hat H[/itex], the Schroedinger equation will reduce to the form [itex]\hat H|E\rangle=E|E\rangle[/itex]. Which is the time independent Schroedinger equation.
So we can say also that [itex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle=\hat H|\psi\rangle[/itex] is not "time dependent" in general.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
Well, you have to assume that the Hamiltonian is not explicitly time dependent. Then it's a one-liner, indeed.

amjad-sh said:
If you choose [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] here to be the eigenstate of [itex]\hat H[/itex] then the solution of the equation will be a stationary state, and the probability density of a stationary state is independent of time.If you choose [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] to be the eigenstate of [itex]\hat H[/itex], the Schroedinger equation will reduce to the form [itex]\hat H|E\rangle=E|E\rangle[/itex]. Which is the time independent Schroedinger equation.
So we can say also that [itex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle=\hat H|\psi\rangle[/itex] is not "time dependent" in general.

You have a differential equation that you solve by separation of variables. That leads to two differential equations: one for the function of time (that is position-independent) and one for the function of position (that is time independent).

Now, if the potential is time-independent, then the time equation is standard and you get the same time function for all (time-independent) potentials. Namely: ##e^{-i Et/ \hbar}##, where ##E## is a constant and turns out to be the energy level associated with a particular solution.

And, this means that the time-independent equation for the function of position is where all the action is, because that equation depends on the potential. Moreover, it turns out to be an equation for eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian:
##H \psi(x) = E \psi(x)##.
And that equation can't have any time derivatives in it. That would make no sense whatsoever.

PS It's just my opinion, but this is the problem with using shorthand notation before you have mastered what you are doing. It's easy to write:

##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle=\hat H|\psi\rangle##

And see nothing wrong. But if you write:

##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi (x)=\hat H\psi(x)##

Then, you can see at a glance that something is wrong.

What should be wrong? It should only be made very clear that you have two different formalisms for the same thing.

The first equation is the equation of motion of the vector representing a pure state in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution, and in the 2nd case you have written the Schrödinger equation for the wave function in the position representation. The connection between the equations is that
$$\psi(x)=\langle x|\psi \rangle.$$
The symbol ##\hat{H}##, the Hamilton operator, has different meanings in the two equations. In the first equation it's an abstract self-adjoint operator on the abstract Hilbert space, and in the second equation it's the Hamilton operator in the position representation.

The most simple approach for general calculations is the abstract formulation. An energy eigenvector is defined by the equation
$$\hat{H} |u_{E} \rangle=E |u_E \rangle.$$
Assuming that ##\hat{H}## is not time dependent. This implies that if you prepare the system at time ##t=0## in such an eigen vector of the Hamiltonian, it stays in this state. Indeed, in this case the time-evolution equation in the Schrödinger picture is solved by
$$|\psi(t) \rangle=\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} t E \right ) \rangle |u_E \rangle.$$
Indeed we have
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t |\psi(t) \rangle = E \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} t E \right) |u_E \rangle = \hat{H} \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} E t \right ) |u_E \rangle = \hat{H} |\psi(t) \rangle.$$
Now, the ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} t/\hbar)## is only a phase factor and thus does not change the state, because a (pure) state is not defined by the state ket itself but any state ket that's just multiplied by a phase factor represents the same state, i.e., the state is represented by a whole ray in Hilbert space. In this sense the time evolution doesn't change the state, if it is initially an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian (provided it is time independent).

Likes amjad-sh
PeroK said:
iℏ∂∂tψ(x)=^Hψ(x)iℏ∂∂tψ(x)=H^ψ(x)i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi (x)=\hat H\psi(x)

Then, you can see at a glance that something is wrong.
[itex]\psi(r)[/itex] can depend on time explicitly as it is can be like this[itex]\psi(r)=\langle r|E\rangle e^{-iEt/\hbar}[/itex]where[itex]|\psi\rangle=|E(t)\rangle[/itex]
@PeroK @vanhees71
Here now what is really confusing me:
We know that the solution of [itex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi(t)\rangle=\hat H|\psi(t)\rangle[/itex] may not be a stationary state wave function.
But there is a proof that as [itex]\hat H[/itex] is hermitian, the probability density of the wave function (solution of this Schroedinger equation) [itex]|\psi(t)\rangle[/itex] will be conserved.Which means that any[itex]|\psi(t)\rangle[/itex](the solution of this equation) is stationary !
what goes wrong here?

It's not the probability density that is conserved but the norm of the vector, i.e., the total probability adds up to 1 at any time as it must. That's very easy to verify in the abstract formalism:
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \langle \psi(t)|\psi(t) \rangle=(\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \langle \psi(t))|\psi(t) \rangle + \langle \psi(t) |\partial_t \psi(t) \rangle.$$

Now you have
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t |\psi(t) \rangle=\hat{H} |\psi(t) \rangle \; \Rightarrow \; -\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \langle \psi(t)| = \langle \psi(t) |\hat{H}^{\dagger} = \langle \psi(t) |\hat{H}.$$
So you have
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \langle \psi(t)|\psi(t) \rangle=\frac{i}{\hbar} (\langle \psi(t)|\hat{H}|\psi(t)-\langle \psi(t)|\hat{H} \psi(t) \rangle)=0.$$
Of course, the wave function is a function of ##t## and ##\vec{x}##. The (generalized) position eigenstate is time-independent (in the here used Schrödinger picture). So you have
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x}|\psi(t) \rangle.$$
As I showed above, in the case of a time-independent Hamiltonian, if the state ket is an eigenvector of the Hamiltonian (i.e., an energy eigenstate) at ##t=0##, the time dependence of the state is only multiplying this state by the factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} E t/\hbar)##, but multiplying a vector, representing the state of the system, by a factor describes the same state of the system.

The meaning of the state ket is that multiplying it with a (generalized) eigenvector of an operator representing an observable (e.g., the position) gives the corresponding wave function, e.g., ##\psi(t,\vec{x})##. Now the physical meaning of this wave function is that its modulus squared gives the probability distribution to find the particle's position to be at ##\vec{x}##, i.e., the only physical meaning is in
$$P(t,\vec{x})=|\psi(t,\vec{x})|^2.$$
Now in the case that ##\psi(t=0,\vec{x})=u_E(\vec{x})## I've shown in my previous posting that ##\psi(t,\vec{x})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} t E/\hbar) u_E(\vec{x})##, but then
$$P_(t,\vec{x})=|u_E(\vec{x})|^2,$$
and this is constant in time, i.e., in this case you have a time-independent (or stationary) state. This is why the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian and only those vectors represent the stationary pure states of the system.

Likes amjad-sh

Related to Schrodinger equation and stationary states

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a partial differential equation that relates the wave function of a quantum system to its energy, and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state.

2. What are stationary states in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

Stationary states in the Schrodinger equation refer to states in which the energy of a quantum system is constant over time. In other words, the wave function of the system does not change with time, and the system is in a stable, unchanging state.

3. How are stationary states related to energy levels?

In the Schrodinger equation, the energy of a quantum system is represented by the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of the total energy of the system. The stationary states of the system correspond to the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian operator, and the energy levels of the system are determined by the eigenvalues of the operator.

4. Can the Schrodinger equation be used to predict the exact state of a quantum system?

No, the Schrodinger equation can only provide the probability of finding a particle in a certain state or position. The exact state of a quantum system cannot be determined due to the inherent randomness and uncertainty of quantum mechanics.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation is used in many practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, understanding the properties of materials, and developing technologies such as transistors and lasers. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science to study and manipulate the behavior of particles at the quantum level.