School teacher has a bag of hats

In summary, the conversation is discussing a puzzle where a school teacher has placed hats on four blindfolded students and asks them to determine the color of their own hat based on the color of their classmates' hats. The fourth student is able to figure out the color of their hat before their blindfold is removed, and the conversation then delves into various assumptions and possible solutions for the puzzle.
(not trying to act stupid ) The white hats often reflects heat,while the black hat absorbs heat,if he was supposedly smart(like Njorl said),he would have taken the time when the teacher was asking the students to identify the hat on his head by feeling the heat,and since there isn't any calculations and a probability of 4/7 3/7,i can say that his hat was black,by then he would have noticed his head felt really hot.(again this is also an assumption)

Science news on Phys.org
idontthinkright said:
(not trying to act stupid ) The white hats often reflects heat,while the black hat absorbs heat,if he was supposedly smart(like Njorl said),he would have taken the time when the teacher was asking the students to identify the hat on his head by feeling the heat,and since there isn't any calculations and a probability of 4/7 3/7,i can say that his hat was black,by then he would have noticed his head felt really hot.(again this is also an assumption)

Indeed it is an assumption so for you I will say that they cannot feel their hats and so he cannot tell. The room is also 14 °C so in the (lets say) 20 minutes they are in there there is no way a change in temperature is noticeable. Plus unless the pupil knew the material of the hat and what a white hat was like to wear in those conditions so if he was wearing a black hat he would not know the different. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)