Schmidt decomposition and entropy of the W state

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of entanglement and the Schmidt decomposition, which involves finding orthonormal sets in a tensor product that uniquely determine a vector. The question was then posed about finding the Schmidt decomposition for a specific state vector and the possibility of writing a reduced density matrix using the basis from the decomposition.
yamata1
Hello,

The state [itex]| W \rangle = \frac { 1 } { \sqrt { 3 } } ( | 001 \rangle + | 010 \rangle + | 100 \rangle )[/itex] is entangled.
The Schmidt decomposition is :

Let [itex]H _ { 1 } [/itex] and [itex]H _ { 2 } [/itex] be Hilbert spaces of dimensions n and m respectively. Assume [itex]{\displaystyle n\geq m} [/itex].For any vector [itex]w[/itex] in the tensor product [itex]H _ { 1 } \otimes H _ { 2 }[/itex] , there exist orthonormal sets [itex]\left\{ u _ { 1 } , \ldots , u _ { m } \right\} \subset H _ { 1 } [/itex] and [itex]\left\{ v _ { 1 } , \ldots , v _ { m } \right\} \subset H _ { 2 } [/itex] such that [itex]w = \sum _ { i = 1 } ^ { m } \alpha _ { i } u _ { i } \otimes v _ { i } [/itex] where the scalars [itex] {\displaystyle \alpha _{i}}[/itex]are real, non-negative, and, as a (multi-)set, uniquely determined by [itex] w [/itex].

What would the Schmidt decomposition be for [itex]| W \rangle[/itex] ?
I am also intersted in writing the reduced density matrix but I need the basis from the Schmidt decomposition.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schmidt decomposition refers to a tensor product of two spaces while your state vector is an element of a tensor product of three spaces.

A quick search yielded this paper which talks about generalizing the Schmidt decomposition and this post on stackexchange which talks about counterexamples in the tripartite case.

Related to Schmidt decomposition and entropy of the W state

1. What is the Schmidt decomposition of the W state?

The Schmidt decomposition is a method for representing a quantum state as a combination of two or more subsystems. In the case of the W state, it is a way of expressing the state as a sum of product states, each with its own coefficient.

2. How is the Schmidt decomposition related to the entropy of the W state?

The Schmidt decomposition allows us to calculate the entropy of the W state by finding the eigenvalues of the reduced density matrix of one of the subsystems. The entropy is a measure of the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a system.

3. Can the Schmidt decomposition be used for any quantum state?

Yes, the Schmidt decomposition is a general method that can be applied to any quantum state, not just the W state. However, for some states, the decomposition may involve an infinite number of terms, making it impractical to use.

4. How does the Schmidt decomposition help us understand entanglement in the W state?

The Schmidt decomposition reveals the entanglement structure of the W state by showing which subsystems are entangled with each other. The coefficients in the decomposition also provide information about the strength of the entanglement between the subsystems.

5. Is the Schmidt decomposition unique for the W state?

Yes, the Schmidt decomposition for the W state is unique. However, for more complex states, there may be multiple ways to decompose the state, each with its own coefficients and entanglement structure.