Satellite Orbiting around the Earth (gravitational fields)

In summary, to find the radius of the orbit for a 500 kg satellite experiencing a gravitational force of 3000N while moving in a circular orbit around the Earth, you can use the formula FG=GM1M2/r2 and the given values for the mass and radius of the Earth. Plugging in the values and solving for r, we get a radius of 8.15x106 meters. It is not necessary to subtract the radius of the Earth, as the question specifically asked for the radius of the orbit.
HarleyM

Homework Statement

A 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of 3000N while moving in a circular orbit around the Earth.

Find the radius of the orbit

Homework Equations

FG=GM1M2/r2
g=GME/r2

Mass of Earth= 5.98x1024 Kg
Radius of Earth= 6.38x106 m

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet=FG
3000N=GMEMS/r2
r=√[(6.67x10-11)(5.98x1024)(500)/3000]
r= 8.15x106

DO I subtract the radius of the Earth from my answer for radius of sattellite? OR would that give me the altitude, and they just want radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, they did ask for radius, not altitude.

Ya I kind of answered my own question as I typed it up here, thanks for the advice

Related to Satellite Orbiting around the Earth (gravitational fields)

1. How does a satellite maintain its orbit around the Earth?

A satellite maintains its orbit around the Earth by balancing two opposing forces: the gravitational pull of the Earth and its own inertia. The satellite must be traveling at a specific speed and direction in relation to the Earth's surface, known as its orbital velocity, in order to stay in orbit.

2. How does the Earth's gravitational field affect a satellite's orbit?

The Earth's gravitational field is what keeps a satellite in orbit. The strength of the gravitational field decreases with distance from the Earth's surface, so the closer a satellite is to the Earth, the stronger the gravitational pull and the faster it must travel to maintain its orbit.

3. Can a satellite's orbit change over time?

Yes, a satellite's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational interactions with other objects, and changes in the Earth's gravitational field. This is why satellites need to be carefully monitored and their orbits adjusted if necessary.

4. What is the difference between a geostationary and a polar orbit?

A geostationary orbit is one in which a satellite travels at the same speed and direction as the Earth's rotation, allowing it to appear stationary in the sky. A polar orbit, on the other hand, is when a satellite travels over the Earth's poles, providing global coverage but with a constantly changing view of the Earth's surface.

5. How is the height of a satellite's orbit determined?

The height of a satellite's orbit is determined by a balance between the Earth's gravitational pull and the satellite's orbital velocity. The higher the orbit, the slower the satellite must travel to maintain its orbit. The exact height of a satellite's orbit depends on its purpose and desired coverage area.