Rovelli Quantum Gravity: Clarification on Symplectic Forms & Hamiltonian

In summary, Rovelli's book discusses how the naturalness of the definition of ##\theta_0=p_idq^i## is significant. Rovelli also discusses how inverting the roles of the canonical variables changes the sign of ##\omega_0##, which could be related to the assumption that the energy of a system is in reality the difference with an energy taken as zero.
albedo
Please refer to p. 99 and 100 of Rovelli’s Quantum Gravity book (here).

I wonder what is the signification of the “naturalness” of the definition of ##\theta_0=p_idq^i##? If I take ##\theta_0'=q^idp_i## inverting the roles of the canonical variables and have the symplectic 2-forms of the Darboux’s theorem changing sign, ##\omega_0=d\theta_0=-d\theta_0'=-\omega_0'##, I would get ##(d\theta'_0)(X_0)=dH_0## the opposite of eq. 3.7. Or maybe I am not allowed to invert the roles of the variables because I need to work in the cotangent space and the only "natural" 1-form ##\theta_0## must be ##p_idq^i## where first you have the covector ##p_i##? What is the signification of this inversion of sign of the ##dH_0##? Could this be related to the assumption that the energy of a system is in reality the difference with an energy taken as zero? I would like to understand better the symplectic formulation of mechanics as it looks crucial when you go from the classical to the general-relativistic Hamiltonian formulation.

Thank you in advance!

Sorry, but somehow the page that you've linked can't be viewed to me.
But perhaps this is what you're looking for: There is a natural pairing between tangent and cotangent vectors. But in Hamiltonian mechanics, you're working on the cotangent bundle. Every tangent vector to the configuration space ([itex](q,v) = (q, v^i \partial_{i}) \in T_q (M)[/itex]) can be naturally treated as a tangent vector to the phase space [itex](q, p; v^i \partial_{q^i}) \in T(T^* (M))[/itex]. Conversely, every tangent vector to the phase space [itex]z = (q, p; v^{q^i} \partial_{q^i} + v^{p_i} \partial_{p_i}[/itex] has a component that can be treated as a tangent vector to the configuration space. If [itex]\Pi: T^*(M) \to M[/itex] be the canonical projection, then [itex]v = T(\Pi )\cdot z[/itex] (T(Pi) is the derivative, other common notations are Pi' or dPi). So you can assign to every point of the phase space a cotangent vector that, paired with a tangent vector to the phase space, gives the pairing of the momentum component of that point with the tangent vector, treated as a tangent vector to the configuration space. This is exactly the canonical 1-form. [itex]\Theta_{(q,p)} (z) := (p \vert T(\Pi)\cdot z)[/itex].
Of course, [itex]q^i\,dp_i = d(q^i\,p_i) - p_i\,dq^i[/itex].
Hope this helps.

Related to Rovelli Quantum Gravity: Clarification on Symplectic Forms & Hamiltonian

1. What is Rovelli Quantum Gravity?

Rovelli Quantum Gravity (RQG) is a theory proposed by theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli that aims to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is a candidate theory for a quantum theory of gravity, which would explain the behavior of gravity at the smallest scales of the universe.

2. What are symplectic forms in Rovelli Quantum Gravity?

Symplectic forms are mathematical objects that describe the geometric structure of space in Rovelli Quantum Gravity. They are used to describe the dynamics of a physical system and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in RQG.

3. What is the role of Hamiltonian in Rovelli Quantum Gravity?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system in Rovelli Quantum Gravity. It is used to describe the evolution of a system over time and plays a central role in the formulation of the theory.

4. How does Rovelli Quantum Gravity differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

Rovelli Quantum Gravity differs from other theories of quantum gravity in its approach to reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is based on the idea that space is not a continuous and fixed background, but rather a dynamic and fluctuating entity. This approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of gravity at the smallest scales of the universe.

5. What are the current challenges in understanding Rovelli Quantum Gravity?

One of the main challenges in understanding Rovelli Quantum Gravity is the lack of experimental evidence to support the theory. It is also a highly complex and mathematical theory, making it difficult for non-experts to fully grasp its concepts and implications. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing debates within the scientific community about the validity and applicability of RQG.