Rotorcraft Stability: Explaining Spiral Instability in Aerospatiale Puma SA330

• Thread starter n69eil
  • Start date
In summary, the instability that is seen in the Aerospatiale Puma SA330 is due to coupling between the state matrix derivatives.
n69eil
Hi,

I have been working on a report about the stability of the Aerospatiale Puma SA330,, and shown that it has an inherent spiral instability during large bank angles.

I later found that this was due to coupling between the state matrix derivatives: Omega.aCosTheta, N’v and N’w.

Anyone any idea how to explain this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh man. You are going to make me pull out my very thick and old helicopter dynamics book.

IIRC, that means that there is going to be a large yaw induced at the large bank angle causing the nose to pitch down and thus the spiral. I am not sure, due to the notation, if this is due to a loss in the tail rotor effectiveness or not. I would imagine that the yaw would be in the opposite direction of the main rotor rotation if this were the case.

I really will have to look this up and see what I can find.

Hi,
thanks for reply...

also just noticed I made a mistake (N'v should be N'u) which kind of makes the problem nit more tricky :frown:

It has been seen that the vertical stabilizer is quite ineffective for small perturbations (sideslip).

It is the nature of these derivatives, and how they couple is confusing, especially for Nu as I can't find information on it.

Well, I did some searching in the literature that I own. I came up with nothing that covers the coupling that you are asking about. It may be there but I certainly did miss it if it is.

I would highly suggest that you post your question on Eng-tips.com. They have a forum specifically for rotary wing engineering. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the business there. I am sure someone there can help you out. Sorry it took me so long to get back in touch with you. If you get an answer I'd like to see if you can post it here as well.

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=6

Related to Rotorcraft Stability: Explaining Spiral Instability in Aerospatiale Puma SA330

1. What is rotorcraft stability?

Rotorcraft stability refers to the ability of a helicopter or other rotary wing aircraft to maintain a stable flight path and attitude. It is essential for safe and efficient flight, as an unstable rotorcraft can experience uncontrollable movements and potentially lead to accidents.

2. What is spiral instability in rotorcraft?

Spiral instability, also known as autorotation or spiral dive, is a phenomenon that can occur in rotorcraft when one of the main rotors loses lift. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as turbulence or pilot error. In a spiral instability, the aircraft begins to rotate and descend in a spiral motion, making it difficult to control.

3. How is spiral instability explained in Aerospatiale Puma SA330?

In the Aerospatiale Puma SA330, spiral instability is caused by an imbalance between the main rotor and tail rotor. The main rotor, which provides lift and forward motion, is located above the center of gravity while the tail rotor is located below. This creates a destabilizing torque that can lead to spiral instability if not properly managed by the pilot.

4. How is spiral instability prevented in rotorcraft?

To prevent spiral instability in rotorcraft, proper maintenance and pilot training are crucial. Regular maintenance ensures that all components of the aircraft are functioning properly, reducing the risk of mechanical failure. Pilots must also be trained to recognize and respond to signs of spiral instability, such as changes in flight attitude and unusual sounds, and take corrective action to maintain stability.

5. What are the potential dangers of spiral instability in rotorcraft?

Spiral instability can be extremely dangerous for rotorcraft, as it can lead to loss of control and potential crashes. In addition to the risks of injury or death, spiral instability can also cause significant damage to the aircraft and surrounding structures. It is essential for pilots to be aware of this potential danger and take necessary precautions to prevent it from occurring.