Rotational Motion with Elastic P. Energy?

In summary: Therefore, there is a maximum value for the force of friction that can be applied to the box before it starts to slide. In summary, the problem is asking for the equilibrium position of a box on a wedge that is rotating with an angular velocity ω. The box can only move along the slope of the wedge and not in the perpendicular direction. The equilibrium position is when the forces of gravity, the normal force from the slope, and the force from the spring are balanced. The maximum value for the force of friction can be determined by considering the system's rotational kinetic energy.
phyzz

Homework Statement

Consider a small box of mass m sitting on a wedge with an angle θ and fixed to a spring
with a spring constant k and a length in a non-stretched state L. The wedge
rotates with an angular velocity ω around the vertical axis. Find the equilibrium
position of the box and discuss the conditions when such equilibrium is possible and when it is impossible. The box can move only in the direction along the wedge slope and cannot move in the perpendicular direction (e.g. it is on a rail)

2. The attempt at a solution
First of all I don't know what it's asking exactly so I started with Fmax? I.e. when the mass is going up the plane.

I started with Conservation of Energy:
1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 + mgh (general equation using r = L and h = Lsinθ)

v^2/r = ω (circular motion)

vmax^2/r = kx^2/mr + 2gh/r (I divided everything by r so it fits into the Fmax equation using mrω^2 instead of mv^2/r)

In the end I get Fmax = kx^2 + 2mgLsinθ

Could someone help me out please? I'm really lost :(

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with your energy equation is that the system has rotational kinetic energy due to the spinning. For the box to be in equilibrium it will be moving in a circle which means there is a force [itex] m\omega^2r [/itex] on the box parallel to the horizontal pointing away from the slope. This force comes from the normal force from the slope and the spring.

Related to Rotational Motion with Elastic P. Energy?

1. What is rotational motion with elastic potential energy?

Rotational motion with elastic potential energy refers to the movement of an object in a circular or rotational path, caused by the force of a stretched elastic material. This type of motion is common in systems such as a pendulum or a spring-loaded toy.

2. How is rotational motion with elastic potential energy different from linear motion?

Rotational motion with elastic potential energy involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion relies on the force of an elastic material, while linear motion can be caused by various types of forces.

3. What factors affect the amount of elastic potential energy in a rotational system?

The amount of elastic potential energy in a rotational system depends on the stiffness of the elastic material, the distance it is stretched or compressed, and the mass of the object attached to the elastic material. These factors determine the strength of the force and the distance over which it acts, which in turn affects the amount of potential energy stored in the system.

4. How is the elastic potential energy converted into kinetic energy in rotational motion?

As the elastic material returns to its original shape, it exerts a force on the object attached to it, causing it to move in a circular path. This movement is accompanied by a conversion of the stored elastic potential energy into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.

5. Can rotational motion with elastic potential energy be used in practical applications?

Yes, rotational motion with elastic potential energy has many practical applications, such as in clocks, toys, and mechanical devices. It is also used in sports equipment, such as a bow and arrow, where the elastic potential energy is converted into kinetic energy to propel an object forward.