Rotational Energy, ball on a loop

In summary, the problem involves a ball with moment of inertia I_{cm} = \beta MR^2 encountering a circular loop of radius R_0 > R after rolling on a level surface at a speed of v_0. The minimum values of v_0 required for the ball to reach the point where the track becomes vertical and the top of the track are determined by using energy conservation. The potential energy at the top of the track must be equal to the kinetic energy for the ball to leave the track and continue moving forwards.
bigguccisosa

Homework Statement

Imagine a ball with moment of inertia [itex]I_{cm} = \beta MR^2 [/itex] encountering a circular loop of radius [itex] R_0 > R [/itex] after rolling on a level surface at a speed of [itex]v_0[/itex]. Assume that the ball does not slip. Attached a diagram.
A) What is the minimum value of [itex] v_0[/itex] required for the ball to reach the point where the track becomes vertical?
B) What is the minimum value of [itex] v_0[/itex] required for the ball to reach the top of the track?

Homework Equations

Rotational Kinetic Energy = T = [itex] \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 [/itex]
Total Mechanical Energy = T + U

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I might use energy conservation here, for part A), if the ground is taken to be zero potential energy, there is no speed when the ball just reaches the vertical track, so kinetic energy is zero, and the ball is [itex]R_0[/itex] above the ground. The centre of the ball starts [itex]R[/itex] above the ground.
[tex] MgR_0 = \frac{1}{2}Mv_0^2 + \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2 + MgR [/tex]
Replacing I and omega, [tex] MgR_0 = \frac{1}{2}Mv_0^2 + \frac{1}{2}\beta MR^2\frac{v_0^2}{R^2} + MgR [/tex]
[tex] MgR_0 - MgR = \frac{1}{2}Mv_0^2 + \frac{1}{2}\beta MR^2\frac{v_0^2}{R^2}[/tex]
[tex] Mg(R_0-R) = \frac{1}{2}Mv_0^2(1+\beta)[/tex]
solving for speed [tex] v_0 = \sqrt{\frac{2g(R_0-R)}{1+\beta}}[/tex]

For part B) did the same thing except put the height at the top of the track to be [itex]2R_0-R[/itex],
and I solved for speed again and got [tex] v_0 = 2\sqrt{\frac{g(R_0-R)}{1+\beta}}[/tex]

Is there a way to check if these are correct?, I'm unsure about how I calculated the potential energy, using the centre of mass of the ball? One of my classmates got [itex] v_0 = \sqrt{2gr_0 (1+\beta)}[/itex] for part A instead?

Attachments

• loop.PNG
    loop.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer for part A.
In part B, you are again assuming no KE at the top. If so, would what would happen next? Does that overall trajectory seem right?

Hi haruspex, I assumed zero KE at the top because the question asked for minimum velocity required to reach the top. I suppose right afterward, if there was no kinetic energy at the top, the ball would then drop in a straight line down? I don't see if there is a problem with this

bigguccisosa said:
Hi haruspex, I assumed zero KE at the top because the question asked for minimum velocity required to reach the top. I suppose right afterward, if there was no kinetic energy at the top, the ball would then drop in a straight line down? I don't see if there is a problem with this
You wouldn't be surprised to see a ball do that, roll all the way to the top of the arc then drop vertically?
Think about the forces acting on the ball when it is near the top, so, according to your scheme, only moving slowly.

Oh man, I just pictured that and that is quite odd :smile:. On second thought, the ball should leave the track but still be moving "forwards", correct? It just doesn't have the velocity to stay on the track anymore. So I suppose the new assumption is that at the top, the kinetic energy must be such that the centripetal force just equals gravity?

bigguccisosa said:
Oh man, I just pictured that and that is quite odd :smile:. On second thought, the ball should leave the track but still be moving "forwards", correct? It just doesn't have the velocity to stay on the track anymore. So I suppose the new assumption is that at the top, the kinetic energy must be such that the centripetal force just equals gravity?
Bingo.

Related to Rotational Energy, ball on a loop

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotation around a fixed axis. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on the object's mass, radius, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational energy related to a ball on a loop?

In a ball on a loop, the ball is rotating around a fixed axis (the center of the loop). As the ball moves along the loop, its rotational energy changes due to the changes in its speed and position. This is because the radius of the loop changes, affecting the object's angular velocity and therefore its rotational energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating rotational energy?

The equation for rotational energy is E = 1/2 Iω^2, where E is the rotational energy in joules, I is the moment of inertia in kg*m^2, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

4. How does rotational energy affect the motion of a ball on a loop?

Rotational energy affects the motion of a ball on a loop by determining its speed and position at different points along the loop. As the ball moves up or down the loop, its rotational energy is converted into gravitational potential energy and back again, causing changes in its speed and direction of motion.

5. How can rotational energy be changed in a ball on a loop?

Rotational energy in a ball on a loop can be changed by altering the object's mass, radius, or angular velocity. For example, increasing the mass or velocity of the ball will increase its rotational energy, while increasing the radius will decrease its rotational energy.