Rotational dynamics - System in Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation was about a final assignment for a first year Mechanical Engineering student. The assignment involved finding the tension and mass of a yo-yo in equilibrium. The student initially struggled with the problem but was able to solve it by correcting a mistake in their calculations.
numan-chris
Hi all, first year MechEng student here, final question of the final assignment of the year, would appreciate any assistance:

Homework Statement

A 0.150 kg yo-yo has an outer radius R that is 5.60 times greater than the radius r of its axle. The yo-yo is in equilibrium if a mass m is suspended from its outer edge, as shown in the figure .

(http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1123236/2/Walker.11.95.jpg)

Find the tension T1

Find the tension T2

Find the mass 'm'

Homework Equations

w=mg
I=1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

Having drawn FBD's for the system, I found no problem in deriving an equation for T1 (if I find this I'm sure I will have no problem with the rest) however it contained variables which when submitted, I was told the answer was not to contain. After much struggling I can't see how it can be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi numan-chris! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

thank you for the reply, managed to solve the problem myself about 5 minutes ago, was missing a variable from one of the simultaneous equations I needed, novice mistake!

Related to Rotational dynamics - System in Equilibrium

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion and behavior of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis.

2. What is meant by a "system in equilibrium" in rotational dynamics?

A system in equilibrium in rotational dynamics refers to a state where all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net torque or change in rotational motion.

3. How is torque related to rotational dynamics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational dynamics, torque is used to describe the rotational motion of an object and is related to the object's angular acceleration.

4. What are some examples of systems in equilibrium in rotational dynamics?

Some examples of systems in equilibrium in rotational dynamics include a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, or a balanced seesaw.

5. How is the center of mass important in rotational dynamics?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed, and it plays a crucial role in rotational dynamics as it is used to determine the object's rotational motion and stability.