Rotation of two motors and two disk with friction

In summary, the problem statement says the motor gives F to the red disk and F to the magenta disk. Then I drew, F1, F2, F7, F8, and I can say |F1|=|F2|=|F7|=|F8|=|F|. I reported forces F1 and F2 to the axis, it gives F1' and F2' with |F1|=|F2|=|F|. Friction is F/2 between disks at points A and B. Then I drawn F3, F4, F5, F6 and I can say |2F3|=|2F4|=|
Cri85

Homework Statement

I changed the problem, because I understood my error I forgot a force. It's the same problem with one motor.

A motor drives two disks on a support. The support is turning clockwise at w1. Disks turn at w at start. The motor M gives a force F and a counterclockwise torque Fd/2 to the red disk. The motor M gives a force F and a counterclockwise torque Fd/2 to the magenta disk. The images shows rings but it's disks. There is friction at points A and B between disks, the force of friction is F/2.

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/4925/N672Ta.png

1) Draw all forces
2) Calculate the torque on each disk
3) Calculate the torque on the support

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I drawn all forces:

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/4338/6D0fx5.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/7663/cN4A9b.png

I noted all forces but:

|F1|=|F2|=|2F3|=|2F4|=|2F5|=|2F6|=|F7|=|F8|=|F|

The color shows where goes the force, magenta -> to the magenta disk, red -> to the red disk, blue -> from the motor M to the support. Prime forces, like F4 -> F4' are forces that must be reported to the axis.

I'm not sure about my forces !

2) Each disk receives a torque +FR/2-F(R-d)/2=Fd/2 from other disk and -Fd/2 from a motor. So the torque on each disk is 0.

3) If my forces are correct there is no torque on the support from disks. But the motor gives a clockwise torque Fd/2, so the support receives a clockwise torque Fd.

Is it correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cri85 said:
|F1|=|F2|=|2F3|
How do you deduce that?

The problem statement said the motor gives F to the red disk and F to the magenta disk. Then I drawn, F1, F2, F7, F8, and I can say |F1|=|F2|=|F7|=|F8|=|F|. I reported forces F1 and F2 to the axis, it gives F1' and F2' with |F1|=|F2|=|F|.

Friction is F/2 between disks at points A and B. Then I drawn F3, F4, F5, F6 and I can say |2F3|=|2F4|=|2F5|=|2F6|=|F|. I reported forces to the axes, it gives F3', F4', F5', F6'.

It is not correct ?

Sorry, I was wrong. The motor gives +Fd/2 torque on the support so each disk receives -Fd/4 not -Fd/2 and centers of rotation of disks were not well placed. But the force of friction was correct. I drawn forces again:

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/4091/cswtaf.png

and:

http://imageshack.com/a/img904/545/7qH6am.png

2) Each disk receive a torque F/2*R-F/2(R-d)=Fd/2 from the other disk and a torque -Fd/4 from the motor. Then each disk receives a torque Fd/4

3/ The support don't receive a torque from disks but the motor gives a counterclockwise torque -Fd/4 to the support.

Is it correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to consider how the motor connects to the disks. How can it exert a torque on them without also exerting a linear force, either on the disks or on the supports for the disks.

Related to Rotation of two motors and two disk with friction

1. How does friction affect the rotation of two motors and two disks?

Friction can have a significant impact on the rotation of two motors and two disks. It can decrease the overall speed and efficiency of the rotation, as it creates resistance between the surfaces of the motors and disks. This resistance can also cause the motors to consume more energy, leading to a decrease in their lifespan.

2. Is it possible to reduce the friction between the motors and disks?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce friction between the motors and disks. One method is to use lubricants, such as oils or greases, to create a smooth surface between the two. Another way is to use materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or silicone, for the motors and disks. Additionally, ensuring proper alignment and cleaning of the motors and disks can also help reduce friction.

3. What effect does the weight of the disks have on the rotation?

The weight of the disks can affect the rotation in a few ways. Firstly, heavier disks will require more energy from the motors to rotate, leading to a decrease in their speed. Additionally, the weight of the disks can also increase the friction between the motors and disks, further impacting the rotation.

4. Can the rotation of two motors and two disks be synchronized?

Yes, it is possible to synchronize the rotation of two motors and two disks. This can be achieved by using a control system that regulates the speed and direction of the motors. By adjusting the inputs to the motors, the rotation can be synchronized to occur simultaneously or at different speeds.

5. How can the rotation of two motors and two disks be optimized?

To optimize the rotation of two motors and two disks, it is important to reduce friction, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, using motors with higher torque and power ratings can improve the overall efficiency and speed of the rotation. Regular maintenance and proper alignment of the motors and disks can also help optimize their rotation.