Rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames

In summary, we can form two matrices from two orthonormal frames of vectors and calculate the rotation matrix between them as the product of those two matrices. This is true because the matrices represent change of basis between the two frames.
santos2015
I am reading a paper and am stuck on the following snippet.

Given two orthonormal frames of vectors ##(\bf n1,n2,n3)## and ##(\bf n'1,n'2,n'3)## we can form two matrices ##N= (\bf n1,n2,n3)## and ##N' =(\bf n'1,n'2,n'3)##. In the case of a rigid body, where the two frames are related via rotations and translations only, we can can calculate the rotation matrix between the two frames as:
##R = N' N^{T} ##.

My linear algebra is quite rusty and I am having some trouble understanding why this is true. Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##\{\mathbf{e}_i\}## be the standard basis ##\mathbf{e}_1 = (1,0,0)^T,\ldots##. Then ##N^T## is the change of basis from ##\{ \mathbf{n}_i \}## to ##\{\mathbf{e}_i\}##, since we can show that ##\mathbf{e}_1 = N^T \mathbf{n}_1##, etc. Similarly, ##N'## is the change of basis from ##\{\mathbf{e}_i\}## to ##\{ \mathbf{n}'_i \}##. Therefore the change of basis from ##\{ \mathbf{n}_i \}## to ##\{ \mathbf{n}'_i \}## is given by the product ##N' N^T##.

Likes santos2015

Related to Rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames

1. What is a rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames?

A rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames is a mathematical tool used to represent the transformation of coordinates from one orthonormal frame to another. It describes the rotation of one frame with respect to the other and is typically expressed as a 3x3 matrix.

2. How is a rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames calculated?

A rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames can be calculated using a combination of trigonometric functions and the dot product of the two frames' basis vectors. The resulting matrix will have 9 elements, with the first three representing the new x-axis, the second three representing the new y-axis, and the last three representing the new z-axis.

3. What is the significance of using orthonormal frames in rotation matrices?

Orthonormal frames are used in rotation matrices because they provide a mathematically convenient and geometrically intuitive way to describe the rotation of coordinates. They have a set of basis vectors that are mutually perpendicular and have a magnitude of one, making them easier to manipulate in calculations.

4. Can a rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames be used to rotate any type of object?

Yes, a rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames can be used to rotate any type of object as long as the object's coordinates can be described using the same orthonormal frame as the one used in the rotation matrix. This means that the object's orientation and position must be relative to the same set of basis vectors as those used in the rotation matrix.

5. How is a rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames applied to a coordinate point?

To apply a rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames to a coordinate point, the point's coordinates are multiplied by the rotation matrix. This results in a new set of coordinates that represent the point's position and orientation relative to the new orthonormal frame. The new coordinates can then be used to plot the point's position in the rotated frame.