Rotating water forms a parabola - why?

In summary: This is because the wall is pushing on the liquid in all directions, thus creating a force that acts towards the center of the container.
JTressy
Rotating water forms a parabola - why??

I've done some experiments involving rotating a beaker of water, and then measuring the height of the parabola that forms. I am now trying to explain this in my write up, but there are some things that I am simply not understanding, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Firstly, one diagram I found shows that the centripetal force making the water go in a circle comes from the horizontal component of the buoyancy of the water - but where does this buoyancy come from? I could understand it if there was a ball that needed supporting!

- Is there a name for this behaviour that will yield decent results when googled? I have tired various combinations of parabola, circular motion, centripetal force, rotating water etc etc and have not yet found a decent page explaining this, I have instead found little bits of information across several different sites.

- Is there a 'correct' way of looking at the system? I am explaining it by using centripetal force, and as this increases further away from the centre then the resultant force on the water is more horizontal, so it is consequently steeper (perperndicular to resultant). However I have also seen that it can be explained with centrifugal force pushing the water to the outside, but from what I can tell this is in a rotating reference frame, does it matter?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, or point me to somewhere that can I would be eternally grateful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2 forces acting on a mass m at the surface of the liquid at coordinates x,y taken from a point at the surface along a tangent drawn from that point to the center of rotation (the origin). The forces are
the centripetal force m * omega^2 * x and the gravitational force mg. Therefore

tan(theta) = dy/dx = x * omega^2 / g

Integrating this equation gives y = x^2 * omega^2 / (2 * g) + C
which is the equation of a parabola.
Note that tangent is taken at the surface and the origin does not
change with integration. Actually C disappears if the origin is taken
at the surface of the liquid at the center of rotation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The phenomena is that a pressure gradient is required in fluids under acceleration.

Thanks very much for the help guys, I just want to clarify what I'm now thinking.

Is the centripetal force that makes the water go in a circle caused by the pressure gradient? Water tries to go in a straight line but can't because of the glass, so builds up around the edge and the pressure gradients means there is a force acting into the centre of the circle, where there is less water.

I'm happy with the rotating/non rotating frames of reference now, back to school so I was able to talk to my physics teacher about it!

The (ultimate) source of the centripetal force is the container wall (denying the fluid to disperse outward).

Related to Rotating water forms a parabola - why?

1. Why does rotating water form a parabola?

The shape formed by rotating water is a parabola because of the forces acting on the water molecules. When the water is rotating, it experiences centrifugal force and gravity. These forces cause the water to spread out and take on a curved shape, with the water at the edges of the rotation experiencing a greater force and rising up in a parabolic shape.

2. Does the speed of rotation affect the shape of the parabola formed?

Yes, the speed of rotation does affect the shape of the parabola formed. The faster the rotation, the more pronounced the parabolic shape will be. If the rotation is too slow, the water may not form a parabola at all.

3. Can other liquids besides water form a parabola when rotated?

Yes, other liquids can also form a parabola when rotated, as long as they are free-flowing and not too viscous. This includes liquids like oil, milk, and even molten lava.

4. Are there any real-world applications of rotating water forming a parabola?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of this phenomenon. One example is in the design of centrifuges, which use the principle of rotating liquids to separate different components based on their densities. Another example is in fluid dynamics research, where understanding the shape of rotating water can help in the design of more efficient turbines and propellers.

5. Can the parabola formed by rotating water be used to determine the speed of rotation?

Yes, the parabola formed by rotating water can be used to determine the speed of rotation. By measuring the height and width of the parabola, the angular velocity of the rotation can be calculated using mathematical equations.